Week #363 ~ Round the Horn

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  2. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    What a lovely tune! I recorded a version this morning using the chords below;
    Part 1 : I G I G I C I D I G D I C G I D I Em II
    Part 2 : I C I G I Am I Bm I C I G I D I Em II

The mandolin is a Prucha F5T

3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Here is my version from the old "Other Tunes" thread, recorded a few years ago on my Mid-Mo -- not quite as fast as luurtie's lovely rendition.

If I find the time, I'll record an updated version, probably with bit of a rhythm backing.

Martin
  4. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's my try on my Sobell mandolin, concertina, Forster cittern and a double bass. Thanks to Hendrik for the chords and his smooth inspiring playing.

5. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Great playing by Hendrik, Martin, and David. Looks like I already learned this one: first video in Barbara's post. Now I'll have to relearn it. Great tune.
  6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    What a lovely selection of versions of this tune lads! And Luurtie your Prucha sounds awesome!
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great tune and super versions, all! Interesting discussion over on The Session on the printing/publishing of music which is copyright and taken from existing collections or other printed materials.
  8. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    As promised, here is my re-recording of this great tune. Played on the Ajr, with tenor guitar backing, at a rather brisker tempo than my old 2010 recording.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  9. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Well done everyone! luurtie, your playing keeps getting better and better and is now consistently awesome! Martin both of your versions were excellent and I liked the more lively second video best. David, nicely played and a very good arrangement. Don, I remembered your original version which is excellent and captures the feeling of the tune nicely.
  10. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    I can't resist a Jay Ungar tune. Well done everyone. Hendrik, as Michael says, your playing is so fluid and even at a good pace you get such great ornamentation into the tune. David, your concertina fits perfectly and your overall arrangement is spot on. Martin, the up tempo version sounds much more spritely. Don, I was going to steal your slides but in the heat of recording kept it simpler.

My take is on mandolin, octave mandolin, fiddle and guitar, Irish style, all but the guitar playing along on the melody. Not as up tempo as prior posts here since my fiddling deteriorates rapidly as I speed up and while I don't mind being a bit off pitch in public I don't want to be too awful...

I hope you aren't too tired of my bees. I need to get some more video from around the area.
  11. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Here's yet another multitracked go at it (though visually a lot less interesting than some of the others). I'm playing my Flatiron A5.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  12. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Thanx for all the compliments, I love all the other versions I heard and I hope there are a lot more of these kind of tunes to come. I noticed we're all multitrackers and some of us play a lot of instruments very well... I'll stick to mandolin and guitar for now...
  13. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely played Bob!
  14. Eddie Sheehy
  15. crisscross
    crisscross
    We have a saying here in Germany: "Ein alter Mann ist doch kein D-Zug", (An old man is not an express train) used to rebuff an urge to move faster. Well, I'll never play as fast and relaxed as for example Hendrik, so I slowed down this Jay Ungar tune and played it at a medium tempo swing pace:

OK, back to my slow Waltzes...
  16. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    That was great CC. Nice tempo and clarity. I don't think many play as relaxed as Hendrik - sometimes he's looking out the window at birds or something and the tunes just kept going. Plus he has a good recording set up. Some players are just more natural. I am not one of them.
  17. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    crisscross - I like the slow version. I like the tune a lot too but I really like the saying "An old man is not an express train". I think that may become my new motto.
  18. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I thought that the land with the stream here looks (a bit) like the Horn of Africa, almost learned it...
  19. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Simon -- sounds great! Very mellow tone on that OM. Where are you putting the capo -- 5th fret for CGDA tuning?

Having listened back to my own two takes in this thread, I actually now prefer my older slower solo recording. More relaxed. Recorded almost ten years ago in November 2010, but same mandolin and same room as my recording of "London Lasses" uploaded yesterday, just different webcam/microphone. That cabinet has moved to the other side of the room and my instrument storage is under that window now. More frighteningly, that's the same T-shirt as my OM recording of "London Lasses" uploaded last week...

Martin
  20. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Martin, I still have some old torn up rag tee shirts too. I wear them on special occasions.

Do you have a car? I was wondering what you’re next tune inside a car would be like, with a bodhran sound track playing on the sterio?
    The more different, the better.
    Or some other place?
    I like that you can take vids with the camera in one direction and the hidden directions can be very different.

It’s an Octave mando GDAE and the capo is on the fifth, so I’m playing a fourth above a normal mandolin (but an octave below). If the tune is in G and uses only my 234 strings then a mando can play along without too much difficulty.
    I actually prefer to play with the capo at 7th fret but space is a bit tight with the extra neck width and the tone at fifth is my favourite...
  21. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    You have really made that river spot your own, Simon. Another fine offering.

Don't worry about the T-shirt, Martin, I am sure it has been washed a few times since you made that last recording in 2010. If not, send it to Simon and he can wear it to keep the insects at bay!
  22. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    This is excellent Simon - great job. Do you scare away anyone encroaching on your 'outdoor studio'? Sound level was a bit low. Or I'm going a bit deaf, either or.
  23. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Hi Simon,

"It’s an Octave mando GDAE and the capo is on the fifth, so I’m playing a fourth above a normal mandolin (but an octave below)."

Interesting way of looking at this. More conventionally, this would be described as "a fifth below mandolin", giving you mandola or viola tuning (CGDA). Same tuning as my mandocello, another octave lower.

Thanks for the concerns about the T-shirt. I can assure you it's neither ragged nor unwashed, just a bit more faded than it was a decade ago...

Martin
  24. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Ginny, that was the volume at 180%, with the Year of Jubilo I upped the volume to 253 %, appreciate if you tell me how that sounds.
    I might up the volume to this again...
  25. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice outdoor tune, played beautifully sitting on the banks of a creek!
  26. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great video, Simon. Nice idea to let us have a look at the equipment of your outdoor studio.