Week #500 ~ Westphalia Waltz

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Sorry I’m a week late posting the winner! Westphalia Waltz.

Here is a link to five settings on the session.org. http://https://thesession.org/tunes/6876.

2. crisscross
    crisscross
    Here's what I did during this week:
  3. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very lovely mandolin and rock steady guitar, well done!
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another fine piece of playing and recording, Christian.
  5. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Michael, thanks John!
  6. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Very nicely done. Much more of this and I might have to learn a waltz.
  7. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Robert!
  8. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    This is one of my favourites! I have heard lots of different stories about this tune. Apparently, there are claims that its origins might be Polish, German, French, or Texan! A Polish friend recognised the melody as a Polish folk song. When I first heard it, I immediately associated it with my grandad, who had played lots of waltzes on the organ when I was a child - but, in fact, he had never heard or played it. I played it with my two guitarist friends at my own wedding reception because I like the tune so much and associate it with family - even if it's a case of false memory. Incidentally, my family is from the German region of Westphalia.

In an effort to keep the tempo steady, I first recorded the chords while listening to a metronome. This may have been a mistake because it ended up slower than I normally play it, turning it into more of an effort to keep the melody at the same speed. But I haven't yet developed the ability to play melody to a metronome! The mandolin here is my Fylde Touchstone Walnut ("Elodie"), the strings are John Pearse mediums, and the pick is a Hawk Tonebird.

This is in fact the second time I recorded this tune. The first time was back in 2012, for the Mandolin Cafe Newbies group:

In this older recording, I play a "Vintage" (the brand) oval-hole ("Madulain"), which is now my office mandolin!
  9. crisscross
    crisscross
    The Soundcloud recording really sounds fine, you surely notice a progress comparing it with the 2012 Youtube clip (which also doesn't sound bad).
    The Fylde mandolin has a great tone. I looked it up and read that it has a scale lengrh of 375 mm.
    A little to much for me, I prefer my Bowlback's 330 mm.
  10. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Here is my recording, using a two-part harmony setting I found here:

http://www.ladies-choice.net/tunes/w...lia-2parts.pdf

"Westphalia Waltz" is one of the best-known Western Swing and bluegrass tunes, with dozens of recordings. The name derives from the hamlet of Westphalia, Texas, although the roots of the tune are in a Polish song called "Pytala Sie Pani".

1921 Gibson Ajr (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  11. crisscross
    crisscross
    Fine recording, Martin! I like the twin mandolins.
  12. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thank you Chris!

That's interesting, Martin. I had never thought of this as a bluegrass tune. So this goes a small way towards addressing the shortage of bluegrass mentioned in the suggestions thread. Nice arrangement too!
  13. Njugglebreck
    Njugglebreck
    Waltsez aren't really my cup of tea, but here goes....

Jim
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really nice versions guys. Und sehr gut Gelsenbury!
    Thanks Njugglebreck, nice with panache!
    You got me motivated to try this, though I do have reservations about waltzes. And tea oh I remember that!
    Also I’m thinking that tomorrow I might learn how to foot tap a waltz, one beat on the right, two on the left.
    Tried it tonight, not that easy! But playing at the same time?
    - I’ve got one of those foot shakers, and the metronome, this is going to be embarrasing.
  15. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I recently read that musicians like Sierra Hull are using drum machines for a metronome because they're not so irritating. A friend has an ap on his phone and I like it, but can't get it on my phone. And even small drum machines are a lot more $4 than a metronome. But I would like to see sunrise with the foot shakers on video doing one on the left, two on the right. That would be awesome.
  16. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Waltzes are my cup of coffee, here's one...

17. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I like the harmonies you have in this version, Jairo. Fine playing and arrangement.
  18. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Thanks, John!

John, I don't have your almost perfect skills , I always go by sheet music..

The arrangement and backing track are by Jay Buckey
  19. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Your mandolin playing sounds a bit Italian to me, nice recording, Jaimo!
  20. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Thanks Cristian!

I accept the "bit Italian" with great pleasure, although I would have preferred a "totally Italian"
  21. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Beautiful Jairo! Outstanding harmonized tremolo!!
  22. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Fine playing, Jairo. Great tone in tremolo phrases. I guess you recorded both mandolins?!
  23. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thank you, Jairo! Hearing this old favourite again has definitely improved my day. I agree with the others that the tremolo harmony works very well, but the whole recording is great and full of feeling.