Down by the Sally Gardens

1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Imagine you just woke up in a mental asylum, strapped to your bed. Dr Spivey and Nurse Ratched lean over you and begin the treatment...

Prescription (GDAE):
    2200 4400 2002 2200 4400 1220 2200
    2200 4400 2002 2200 4400 1220 2200
    4400 2002 1220 2200 4400 1220 2002
    2200 4400 2002 6600 4400 1220 2200
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely duet, you two. I'm sure Mr Yeats is smiling from his Ben Bulben resting place, Bertram.
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks John, to please Mr Yeats would indeed be a challenge, what with his alleged lack of humor, casting a cold eye on most things including life and death
  4. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Joyous. Love the clinical white imagery.
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Wonderful!
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Really enjoyable!
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks all. This was fun to do.
  8. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    brilliant
  9. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    Lovely. Thanks!
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thank you Lawrence and Colin.
  11. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Very enjoyable performance Bertram and Regina
    I did a version some time ago as an exercise in double stops on non adjacent strings and here it is. Look out for use of the second finger.
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very intricate and baroque-like, Maudlin, including polyphonous runs with a constant timing. I get the impression that the mandolin fretboard is a bit small for so many fingers to walk around each other (I couldn't do that!) - an OM would give you more room for that.
  13. crisscross
    crisscross
    I was looking through the "Other Tunes"-list and found this lovely song.
    Brilliant singing and picking, Bertram! Nice double stop playing, Maudlin!
    As is so often the case, I just tremoloed my way through the melody:
  14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Interesting chords, Christian, and I think this is the first time I saw tremolo notation (didn't even know it exists)
    Good essence of the mood of this song.
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good to see this one revived, Christian. Another fine arrangement you have there.
  16. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    John, We have this one too. Needs pics or video. It was the second half of (I think) Inisheer. These are all good and I love Bertram's analogy. Beautiful voices too. I also love CC's new version - and the fact that tremoloed is now a verb !
  17. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Bertram, John and Ginny. I am German, so I'm not completely sure about the use of nouns as verbs in English. But we have the verb "tremolieren" in German, so I thought, "to tremolo" was the English equivalent. But it seems "tremolo" in English exists as a noun only...
  18. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    No, CC - you have coined the term and I like it - it shall be deemed now to also be a verb. I often say..I mandoed today...hence a verb.
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Verbing words weirds people