The Alpenhorn (Jay Ungar)

1. crisscross
    crisscross
    The Alpenhorn is a rather obscure Jay Ungar tune.
    I found it on Mel Bay's website as an example for the content of the songbook Catskill Mountain.
    I loaded down the picture of the sheet music and arranged it for classical guitar and mandolin.
    You can read written above the music slow and steady.
    At least, I'm playing it real slowly.
    The only other Youtube clip of this song is by labradornl, who seem to be big fans of Jay and Molly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB88KLQhl6M
    I tried to find a version played by Jay and Molly but couldn't find neither video nor audio file.
    So, maybe this tune was only published in the songbook...
  2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    This is a great version CC. I like the tempo the way you have it.
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    The composition has indeed a tilt towards Bavarian, though not quite (which is a good thing IMHO). I think it's just as well there is no footage of Jay playing this, it would look too much like Jean Pütz in Lederhosen.
  4. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Very nice crisscross. I have never heard this one. Thanks for sharing it.
  5. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Ginny, Bertram and Robert! Bertram's comment made me try to record a Bavarian version of that tune.
    Too bad, I play neither hammered dulcimer nor zither. So, a German bowlback and a classical guitar had to do...
  6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Jean Pütz!! Memories of my childhood come flooding back.

I like both versions. Well played!
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Yes, that's about what I had in mind.
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting pair of recordings, Christian. I think I prefer the tone you have in the first one, but as always, it is personal thing! As Ginny said, I too like the gentle pace you have chosen for the tune.