Week #498 ~ The Hare's Paw

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Well, so much for a timely manner in posting the winner! Sorry about that!

This week's winner is The Hare's Paw, which was submitted as an IT reel. According to The Session, this tune is also known as Cois An Ghiorria, The Corry Boys, Hare’s Foot, The Hare’s Foot, The Hare’s Paw, Hares Paw, The Hares Paw, Jim Kennedy’s, Jim Kennedy’s Favorite, Jim Kennedy’s Favourite, Kennedy’s, Kennedy’s Favourite, Low Park, The Lowlands Of Scotland, The Silvermines, Whelan’s.

Here is a link to 8 settings of this tune on thesession.org

2. Njugglebreck
    Njugglebreck
    here's another version
  3. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's The Hare's Paw Reel as played by this good ol' So Cal mandolin and guitar picker. The mandolin is a Kentucky KM600 from the mid '80s and the guitar is a Martin OOX1AE from this century. YouTube wasn't acting right so I put the audio on SoundCloud.

4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Good find, Njugglebreck.
    That’s a good one, Michael. I’m happy to have a picked version as a reference.
  5. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's The Hare's Paw video. YouTube was working today. The images are from The Library of Congress digital collection.

6. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Nice work Michael!
  7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Nice Michael, really nice, good swing to it. Where do you get those vintage - type pics?
  8. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    I really like this too! Great job Michael. I have been away quite a bit lately. Hearing these great postings makes me anxious to get back to doing a little recording.
  9. crisscross
    crisscross
    Great swinging version, Michael! I like it a lot!
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great picking, Michael. A tune that really swings along.
  11. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Thanks everyone for the kind comments! I'm am aware that I play Irish traditional like a Californian. Just can't help it. I think the swing comes from my old time style of guitar backup. There are no Irish sessions near where I live, so I'm left to my own devices and just fall back on what I'm used to doing. Any pointers as to how to make my playing more "Irish" would be welcome...

Ginny Aitchison: I get most of my old time images for my videos from the Library of Congress. They have a lot of photos, paintings and prints available online. Most of the images are in the public domain anyway and I'm not using them commercially either. Once I've downloaded the images, I open them in Photoshop and then resize them so that I can use them in iMovie when I assemble my videos. I record the audio much like John Kelly only using Cubase 4 instead of Reaper to do the mixing.

Here's the link I used to find the images of Ireland:
    https://www.loc.gov/search/?fa=parto...+13406&st=grid
  12. Njugglebreck
    Njugglebreck
    Here's a less than perfect attempt, but it's less less than perfect than the other attempts I made.
    The more I play this tune, the better I like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sl1RhPAS_I

Hmm.... can't seem to get the video to embed...

Jim
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    To post the vid it’s, ‘advanced post’, then the tiny red icon for YouTube, then paste ONLY the code for the vid, eg. https://youtu.be/0Sl1RhPAS_I
    -just paste: 0Sl1RhPAS_I
    Nice vid!

14. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Njugglebreck - sounded good to me. Love the smooth triplets.
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Njugglebreck. Yes, really nice clean playing.
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    This is the last vid from the west side of the valley next to the wolf park.
    If you listen carefully you may hear them snoring (fast asleep during the day).

https://youtu.be/sRwjTaF2pKw
  17. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    As so often I like your playing accompanied by your foot tapping next to the micro. Sounds like a drum.
  18. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    It is as almost as nice as that beautiful sunshine I see. Maybe by April we will see some. Yes, Simon's foot is like an instrument of it's own right.
  19. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A very catchy tune and you deliver it really well here, Simon. What an exciting life you lead in your outdoor recordings - one time you have strange men popping out of the bushes and now it is a slumbering wolfpack! Must inspire you to get things done as quickly as possible?
  20. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    A sweet sound you get from you capoed octave mandoline. Simon.
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks lovely Lady and Gents, I’d actually like to try some sort of foot pattern with other instruments too, could be fun, especially on a set of three basic tunes. Inspired, thanks Ginny!

It’s strange now though John, I don’t feel at home in the woods now, but especially on that side of the valley -it’s a west facing slope on a north/south ridge line and only starts to warm up around noon. Since Covid there have been a lot more people about and fewer large animals.

I may get a tent and start camping over night with the octave and a big battery… probably won’t do the octave any good but I do enjoy the freedom.
  22. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    lovely stuff Simon, octave sounds great