String problem

1. Radish
    Radish
    Hi all,

I suddenly have a problem with my E-strings. After restringing I suddenly can't fret anymore. When I do it sounds like I'm playing the strings below the bridge. So I guess it's a tension issue but I don't understand how it occurred or what I can do to fix it. Anybody have any ideas, or previous experience with a similar problem?
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Strange. Something wrong at the nut? Like maybe one or both e strings are not in their slots? I just played around with my mandolin and the only way I could get anything that sounds a little like what you are describing was to have the e strings off the nut entirely.
  3. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    When you say you "can't fret anymore" what are you trying to get across to us? It's too tight and it's not getting down press down on the string or the sounds is just off?
    Hank maybe right that you don't have it in the groove
  4. Dave_KC
    Dave_KC
    I think the key question is what does "can't fret anymore" mean? Does this mean you can't press them down? Are they off the fret board entirely?
  5. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    You didn't tune the Es an octave high, by any chance?
  6. Radish
    Radish
    Well, simply put, playing the string open it sounds okay. As soon as I try and press down on the string, anywhere along the fret board, the sound is gone and it just sounds like I'm playing a string that's way too tight. Like I said, it sounds like I'm trying to play the string below the bridge. Took the strings off (broke one by accident in any case) trying to put new strings on but as I am adding the strings I can already hear the problem on my E-strings (before they're even properly tightened). I got all the grooves just fine, but for some reason I just can't get it to sound correct.
  7. Radish
    Radish
    ...and then your wife walks in and gives you the answer. The bridge was actually too low, leaving the E-strings tight where they shouldn't be tight. I.e. they were stuck against something making it sound all wrong. Raising it up a few turns gives me back the tone again.
  8. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Wow! Sometimes one can be so close to the problem that it is impossible to see the solution. Thank goodness for sig-o's.
  9. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Yep. Sometimes it is difficult to see the forest for the trees .