Week #389 ~ Sunday River Waltz

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Sunday River Waltz. I'm not familiar with this tune, but it sure is a pretty one!

Here is a link to standard notation, and abc, on Folk Tune Finder.

2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Wow! I've been late posting a winner before, but never a day early! I thought it was Friday already....what was I thinking? I've already put the poll up for next week, too, but it's that time of year where I am camping on that particular day, so I will post the winner when I can!
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    That's indeed a very lovely waltz, Barbara!

From what I can see online, it was written in 1989 by the Vermont fiddler and songwriter Pete Sutherland. Sunday River is a small river and a nearby ski resort in Maine.

My recording uses harmonies by the Princeton Country Dancers:

http://harbormist.com/tunes1/pdf/sun...nd_harmony.pdf

Played on two vintage Italian bowlbacks, with tenor guitar backing.

1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin
    1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That's a very fine version of a lovely tune, Martin. Thanks too for the link to the harmony part.
  5. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Very nice version Jonas... I like the tune and try to record something as well
  6. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    here's my version... I tried tremolo first, but I seem to be sounding better without this time..

7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Wow Hendrik, that was really well done. Your version is now my favorite. My version not so much, is in the key of C and played on my mandola with some concertina and piano.

8. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    David.. I love your version so much. Your timing and the accents on some notes give the tune that special atmosphere!
  9. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    I picked out David Hansen's recording of this to play at my daughter's wedding reception for the father-daughter dance. It received a lot of compliments and "what was that tune?" My special thanks to David and to all you fellow café members who share your music.
  10. crisscross
    crisscross
    How could I miss such a beautiful waltz back in 2016?
    As with many other waltzes, the eighth notes can be played straight or in swing fashion.
    This time, I opted for swing eighths.
    Thanks Ginny of Celtic Mandolins for making me know this tune.
  11. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    That is a pretty tune and very well played crisscross. I think I need to work on my tremolo so I can play some of these.
  12. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Fine playing, crisscross. And nice you resurrected this tread.
    Listening to all the versions of our fellow group members I couldn’t decide which my favorite is. I feel an urgency to play along with each of you – so I forced to print out the sheet music in three keys. Nice to have an abc converter available.
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another lovely arrangement and fine playing, crisscross.
  14. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Robert, Frithjof and John!
    Today, I tried it on my bowlback.
    Still not perfect, but I'm working on it!
  15. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Another fine version. It is hard to decide which mandolin I like better. Both are very enjoyable.
  16. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I enjoyed both versions very much Crisscross.
  17. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Robert, thanks Hendrik!