Messing Around Blues Scale (MABS)

1. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Hi All.
    Took the advice of a fellow Newbie and decied to record some messing around blues scale. I'm learning blues scale and working them in to some chop chord/strumming playing. Not trying to compete with TOTM just something to open the door and maybe get out of a funk

Hope you enjoy and join me and add to this

I'm playing some chops with blue scales mixed in. I'm playing in G.

2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I have never tried 'da blues' even though I admit to having had them a time or two. I think I will revisit Brad's stuff and pick one of his exercises and see if I can make some blue notes come out of my otherwise happy mandolin.
  3. bbcee
    bbcee
    I know this was just an exercise, but I really like this!! It's has the feel of a chord melody, but you could just as easily drop in a vocal. Keep going, this is cool!

Funny, after playing blues on guitar for years, when I picked up the mando, I never even thought about playing blues stuff. Now you're making me rethink it. I think I might have a tune to try ...
  4. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I played around with the G blues scale a bunch yesterday trying to get comfortable with it. I like the sound but my fingers just don't want to make those blues intervals. And those three notes in the middle of the scale that are half steps apart get my fingers all twisted up. Then you got those tone and a half intervals.

Anyway I threw this together this morning.

5. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Love it Hank!!! I love the blues scale as well and I agree it's a nice diversion. Keep it up!!
  6. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    New addition to the Blues. This time in B

7. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Sounds good. Also sounds like you are noodling around up the neck pretty easily. That's something I should do more often to get my fingers familiar with that territory.
  8. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    It's differently helping me expanded my knowledge of what works and doesn't with different notes and what.
  9. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Seems like you're really trying to stretch your comfort zone, Otto. Good work!
  10. bbcee
    bbcee
    +1 to what Hank & Mark say. I'm impressed you're really trying to break your "logjam". Kudos!