Harvest Home

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Could not find this one in the lists, but it must have featured earlier at some point.
    Here is a version posted by Ginny Aitchison, who has her Celtic Mandolins page on YouTube and is my regular collaborator in our Scottish/Canadian projects which some of you will have seen and heard.

2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thanks for posting this John, for some reason I cannot do it from here. John is very much front and centre in these tunes and I couldn't do them without him. He encouraged and supported me in starting up my own YouTube channel - called 'Celtic Mandolins'- Ginny Aitchison...
    I have most of the tunes with John who is still my collaborator and a few with my mando teacher Emory Lester. I thank you all sincerely for your support
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks to both of you, Ginny and John.
    To listen to your arrangement of the tune and to watch the choosen slide show made me happy.
  4. crisscross
    crisscross
    Very nice sound and fluid playing, I really like this!
  5. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    I really enjoyed this too. I went to the youtube site and subscribed. I am looking forward to future postings.
  6. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I love it John, such a friendly sounding tune. Nice work!
  7. bbcee
    bbcee
    Here's the SAW thread, from way back in '09:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...scussionid=710

The Newbies group also did it, in September 2017.

It's such a lovely melody, and so well-played by you two cross-Atlantic partners. Thanks for posting it!
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, folks, and thanks to bbcee for posting original link. The transatlantic collaborations have been such fun, and we both hope to keep them going for some time to come.
  9. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Thanks, Ginny and John! This is a wonderful tune and is one my dad used to play (at least a version of it) from my earliest memories.
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I like those smiley straw bales at the end and the generally laid-back tempo where you can afford to actually pick your way through that descending run in each part.

I did that eight years ago (man I looked so much younger back then, must be the grainy cheap webcam I used), slightly less laid-back and jumping those descending runs with two HOPOs.

P.S. just realized I posted this in the other discussion bbcee pointed out, and said similar things - I'm not quick to change my mind, apparently
  11. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That was the first mandolin tune I ever recorded, back in my single and childless life! This was in 2011, and I looked much younger then too!
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Very clean picking with good clarity in your notes, G. Good tone too.
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Been browsing through some back threads and found the Harvest Home one from last year.

Here is a new version I have just recorded, with Harvest Home as the first tune in a set of three hornpipes, the other two being Off To California and The Boys of Bluehill. I recorded them on mandolin into REAPER with my Lowden guitar for the backing - just two tracks on this recording; mandolin playing each tune twice through then the guitar track dubbed on.

I then played the tunes again while filming on my camcorder, using the original recording to play along to, then lined up the video track with the REAPER track in my video software before deleting the camcorder track.

14. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice and fluid playing as ever, John. And smooth transitions between the tunes.
  15. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    You sound good playing Irish music, John. These are three nice hornpipes. I still need to learn the middle one.
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very nice John, clean solid picking with bounce and a little staccato.
    Hornpipes to emulate.
  17. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Your description fits what I do, John, more or less. It is suggesting itself for practical reasons, I guess.
    And since this is how professional music videos are made, it's not cheating - it's professional
  18. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nice set John. My only comment here would be..can you put the names of the three tunes in the description area so we know which ones are which. Excellent production. Harvest Home remains one of my favourites.
  19. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks for kind comments, all. Ginny, I have included the names of the tunes (apart from Harvest Home since it is first up and the set name) on the screen just as each starts, between my top two shirt buttons! I see it is 18 months since we posted our collaboration on this very thread, Ginny; how time flies.
  20. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Fine hornpipe picking John! I'm especially impressed by how effortles you master the triplets in the second part of Harvest Home.
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Me too, Christian, it’s that D-U, D-U that suddenly changes to DUD, DUD that I find difficult.
  22. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Christian and Simon. I think I pick those tunes slightly differently each time I play them, and there are times the triplets just get too much for me. If I think about pick direction I am usually in trouble, and if I try to increase my speed (see Bertram's breakneck delivery in his posting above), in the words of the old country song "I fall to Pieces..." The transitions come as a result of playing for set dances over the years, I am sure, where it is essential to maintain a steady rhythm throughout a set or the dancers start getting a bit uppity!