Strings again

1. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    Last night I snapped an A string bringing it up to pitch. I have been playing EXP74CMs
    So went with EJ74M Monels. Also had to replace my tuner. Now I have a Snark ST-2. Initial reaction to both is positive.
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    What do you like about the monel EJ74Ms compared to PB EJ74s?
  3. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    My opinion only here. But they appear less "bright" as new strings . And they seemed to settle in to tuned quicker than the PB's did. I am waiting to see how they wear because those EXP coated strings lasted forever and I hate changing strings but the interweb indicates that monel strings have a long life.
  4. bbcee
    bbcee
    I've been playing Curt Mangan monels on a couple of instruments, and in my experience they're less bright when first put on, but last a really long time with exactly the same sound. They sound settled in right from the start. I like them on one instrument, but am trying PB's again on another.

They're a little like the Thomasik strings - relatively expensive, until you factor in the extended time they'll stay on your mando. I'm getting 4-5 months out of a set - but I'm just a home player.
  5. Mark Roma
    Mark Roma
    I am very new to mandolin, but love the sound of my Martin M400s.
  6. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Mark, what mandolin are you using them on? I am quite happy with Martin M400s on my old Vega bowlback and the mandolin-banjo. I tried them on one of my modern mandolins and couldn't get them off fast enough. They just sounded 'weak'. Could be the mandolin, but it sounds great with plain old EJ74s. Haven't tried them on other mandos.
  7. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Mark, I had a set of Martins on my mandolin that prefers light strings. I wasn't thrilled at first, but ended up liking them a whole lot. They lasted well, and sounded good once they settled in.
  8. Mark Roma
    Mark Roma
    I play a Kentucky KM-256 Artist A-model. Love the sound. It is my upgrade from a Rogue RM-100A.
  9. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Speaking of strings, I learned a trick not long ago. I was playing somebody else's mandolin and I very quickly noticed that I could play those high B notes with my pinkie (E string, 7th fret) more cleanly and easily than I was accustomed to. I remarked on it and the owner said "Yeah, pretty sweet E string on that thing". Then he smiled and told me the secret. Whatever gauge strings he was using, he threw away the E strings and installed E strings that were a lighter gauge. So, for EJ74s, he had a supply of 0.010" strings on hand to use instead of the normal 0.011".

Yes, it's a crutch for old creaky beginner mando players like me. But an interesting idea.