Week #10 ~ Liberty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. tuffblue
    tuffblue
    I too congratulate David, Joe & Susi. Susi I love the sound of your mandolin as well. Very sweet sound and I love the melody you play for this song.

Here is my contribution. Cheers Frank

2. dcdan
    dcdan

when u post late its hard to come up with something a little different so I tried 2

3. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Nice versions, DC! They show a lot of ingenuity and inventiveness that's gonna blossom I can tell!

Nice lilt to your playing, Frank.

Yeah, Susi got's a great sounding instrument and the chops to make it sing, too!
  4. Susanne
    Susanne
    Thanks Joe and Frank, yeah my mandolin is the most wonderful instrument in the world!!! I needed some encouragement today, I really feel low about everything (including my playing) today and we have a gig in a couple of hours - not a good combination
    Dan, great playing and cool variations and I'm happy that I'm not the only one not smiling in the vids.
  5. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Nice work, Dan. I was thinking of doing a minor version myself and calling it "Tyranny". Glad to see someone else thinking along the same lines. What's the voicing on that last chord in the second video? I'm guessing it's F#, D, A, D (or 11-0-0-10) right? I love chords like that.
  6. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Susi, You'll do fine at your gig, I'm sure. I often get down prior to a gig, don't want to do the load up of P.A. gear, instruments and then the drive (if it's out of town). But then when the music stops it all goes away and a lot of fun is had!
  7. dcdan
    dcdan
    Thanx guys, Ken...Tyranny...I like it and you have good ears the voicing was F# D A D it has such a nice open sound. Even if the whole thing wasn't particularly clean it ended nicely.
    Susi you are obviously concentrating, deep in thought and have a sweet sound to boot. I myself am just trying not to look "goofy"
  8. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Wow lots of new action on this song:

Joe very nice I like those scales in the middle it adds a lot to the tune.

Nice job -- David keep at it you keep improving each time.

SoreEars -- a little crosspicking action on this? At least it looks like crosspicking -- sounds cool. Also great story about the mandolin.

Susi -- great job as ususal --your new set up for recording is great. I need to get a better video recorder and also some editing software.

Frank -- awesome! very clean and clear -- what are you picking on it sounds great or did I already ask you that? Flatiron? The mind is going.

dcdan -- very cool idea --I like the version #1 the best - but both have that little back pick (to the D-string?) and it is a nice touch -- also what model of Gibson do you have -- it is a Monroe model or one of the big dogs (MM or DMM) again if I've already asked --sorry.
  9. dcdan
    dcdan
    Its not a Gibson. Its a "the Loar" LM 600 not to be confused with a "Loar". Lloyd was long gone by the time they carved my mandolin.
  10. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Thanks - second time I have mistaken the "The Loar" for a "The Gibson" from distance it looks very similar! Still they are nice mandolins and many good things have been stated about them.
  11. Susanne
    Susanne
    Bernie, thanks so much. Great to be able to use the iSight camera when I don't want to go through the hassle of pulling out the camcorder.

We did have fun at the gig and it went quite well. My voice wasn't in good form but actually singing went really well and instead I did some oopsies on the mandolin, but I think people liked listening to us anyway. Now when all the gigs are done I can finally relax and do some real practicing! I bought a book with mandolin crosspicking technique, mainly to get some good exercises, and I'll start on that, and learn some new tunes as well. and try to work on some slides and other new stuff and for once play slow enough to actually play decently. And - mainly - play the squeezebox!
  12. dcdan
    dcdan
    Bernie,
    I can understand that because the way the came up with the design was to measure the exact dimensions of the real Lloyd Loars and build to the same exact dimensions. If they are to be believed that is.
  13. tuffblue
    tuffblue
    Bernie, thanks for the positive words. I am picking on my Gibson F5-G and you were right to think of the Flatiron because I pick on that as well but it is an A5. Both are too much instrument for me but boy a love playing them.
  14. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Starting to catch up on the backlog with Liberty. The little syncopation at the beginning eventually developed into a whole set of rhythmic variations, which I'm quite happy with. I had to write it out so it would all make sense to me, so if anybody is interested, I'll be happy to pass along the music. Enjoy!

15. Eddie Sheehy
    Restrung my Tenor Guitar with Martin strings (43 32 23 16) and tuned to GDAE.
    Warts and all... and new-string squeaks...

16. Eddie Sheehy
    oopsie
  17. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice work Eddie, is that guitar enormous, or are you a hobbit?

Ken, I like the rhythmic variations, you have really great ideas. And that Collings is really sounding good.
  18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Sounds good, Eddie! I also like your sunglasses! Filmed in SUNNY California!
  19. Daci
    Daci
    This is one of the first tunes I learned on the hammer dulcimer...Also played it as a hornpipe..
    That sounds really nice! Must learn it on the mando..Thanks!
  20. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    I am still trying to catch up:
    Having a few days off between the holidays, I am practicing and recording a couple of my favorite tunes which you guys did before I joined up.
    'Metronome' by Band-in-a-Box.

21. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Manfred, very nice. For some reason this tune just gives me fits. Something about the fingering. I just can't get it to the tempo I'd like. You've got in down nice and clean. Sounded good.
  22. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Fantastic Manfred, love it....I was back to work today! Somebody has got to do it!
  23. Earl Gamage
    Earl Gamage
    Good job Manfred. I also , like Martin, find that tune tricky. I might get brave and post one anyway.
  24. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks for your kind words, Martin, Tosh, and EarlG.

This is one of the first tunes I learned. For me it has been a kind of yardstick for my progress. About 3 1/2 years ago I was very pround of being able to play it along with my Jam Tunes CD cleanly at 110 bpm. I can now play it at about 175 in an almost relaxed manner ( a bit faster off camera )
  25. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Alright, I've been working on this and I have it down pretty okay, but I have one spot that's giving me trouble. It's in the first measure of the A part where you go from the F# to the A. When I hold down the F# the A string buzzes when I pick it. I have tried positioning my finger two dozenty-leven different ways and I can only get it to NOT buzz about 30% of the time. If I pick up my index on the F# to play the A, it sounds choppy. Any brilliant ideas anyone?
  26. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Perhaps I don't understand, Martin. You mean the F# on the top string, second fret? Can't you just hold your finger where it's rocked a bit toward the edge of the fretboard?

Is it specific to this song or can you never play an open A with that F# being held down? How about if it were first fret F or third fret G or some other note on the top string?
  27. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Yes, that's what I mean Brent. And yes, you would think I could just rock my finger a tad. In fact, that is exactly what I do the 30% of the time I avoid buzzing. And in fact, when I play the G to A in the very next measure I rock my middle finger off the G slightly and do not get a buzz when I pick the A. It seems to be only when I play the F# with my index and then the A. The buzz is from the A touching my index as it vibrates. I don't think I have a deformed index finger, but it sure seems like it.
  28. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Maybe try your middle finger for the F#, too?

You could of course play the A way down on the D string, assuming you can make that stretch, but it would sound funny anyway.

Sorry, no better ideas.
  29. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Give it a try on your banjo, Martin. Maybe the string spacing is wider.
  30. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    That's really sweet, Manfred. It's that relaxed, steady pace that makes the music so enjoyable. Nice double stops and ending!
  31. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Alright, a little perserverance and I got rid of that buzz. The secret was putting the buzz elsewhere, including spots where it wasn't yesterday. Aye, yi, yi. This tune is not going into my regular repertoire. Maybe I'll revisit it in a year.

32. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    That was awesome, Martin. Very snappy and joyful!
  33. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Perseverance pays off, Martin! Nice job. I like this tune at almost any speed (except for super fast).
  34. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Unfortunately, it seems to be consistently played fast in sessions. I will never get it up to session speed. I'll just have to put down my mando and play it on whistle.
  35. Eric Michael Pfeiffer
    Eric Michael Pfeiffer
    I know it's a few years late....but here is my version recorded here in January of 2014 on my new Eddie Blevins F5
  36. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Sounding great Eric!! Both you and the new Mandolin! I was on Mr Blevins website recently and he appears to do some awesome work.
  37. Kevin B
    Kevin B

My version of Liberty on Octave Mandolin and Ukulele.
  38. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    reposting for Kevin

Nice job Kevin! I like that octave sound.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12