Post a mandolin recording of your first favourite song/tune

1. crisscross
    crisscross
    I still remember, when I was in elemantary school, our music teacher sang songs in foreign languages with us. She gave us transliterations of the lyrics, that even 8-year-old Germans could use.
    Way down upon the Swanee River became Wä daun apan de swani riwwer, so we sang an approximation of the English lyrics.
    And thus, Old Folks at Home became my first favourite song, I really liked the melody.
    I still do...

What were your first favourite songs?
    Did you ever try to play them on your mandolin?
  2. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Very nice, Crisscross! Great sound!

"What were your first favourite songs?"

First-favorite musical pieces, listed here with modernish not-me (i.e., good) examples:
    1. Mississippi Sawyer (instrumental dance tune)
    2. Johnson Boys (dance tune with words)
    3. Ninety And Nine (song)

"Did you ever try to play them on your mandolin?"

Yeah but not as standalone solo pieces, I couldn't ever get the mando rhythm to sound right, compared to what I could get on fiddle or banjo.

I did go through a phase using a mandola as accompaniment and/or 2nd melody line, for instance here's me on mandola just sort of lurking in the background accompanying my dad on banjo in 1981. He's actually got the rhythm and melody all covered nicely with the banjo, whereas I'm just playing simple melody notes for lack of any better ideas at the time. Recorded around the dining-room table on a little cassette recorder, so the sound is anything but hi-fi.

(or direct link)
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    My first favourite songs I remember as a child would be:

"I Want You Back" by the Jackson 5 - first single I every bought, I was 5 at the time!
    "Say A Little Prayer" by Aretha Franklin - vividly remember this coming on the car radio while sat in the back seat of a car, was probably about 4 at the time.
    "Whiskey on a Sunday" by Danny Doyle (he was a pal of my Gran's)

I have never attempted to play any of them on the mandolin!
  4. bbcee
    bbcee
    I'm with Jill - the first 45s I wore out were "Friendly Loan" by I'm not sure who, and "Puff the Magic Dragon" - I'm going to pass.

It got better after that what with "Everybody's Everything" (Santana), "Heart of Gold" (Neil Young) & "Misty Mountain Hop" (Led Zeppelin) on AM radio, but I haven't had the desire to play any of them on the mando.
  5. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

My earliest musical memories are of listening to the wireless. The programme was "Listen with Mother", the theme tune was the Berceuse from Faure's Dolly Suite and I did play it on mandolin and posted it on SAW about six years ago.