Down By The Sally Gardens

1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I was working on a fingerstyle guitar arrangement of the song Down By The Sally Gardens when I started adding other instruments to the mix. This is what I came up with.

2. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Just beautiful. Both aurally and visually.
    I'd love to play Waldon for the rest of my days in that first cottage.
    Gary
  3. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That's great, David, really nice production on that one too.
  4. justkaron
    justkaron
    Just wonderful, David. I'm in need of mental soothing. This is a balm.
  5. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's beautiful how full the sound becomes as all your instruments join in. Really excellent.
  6. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    That was just wonderful. Great arrangement and playing.
  7. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great arrangement David. And some really nice fingerpicking on a very beautiful sounding guitar. As each instrument is added, I like how the guitar never disappears in the mix. Well done!
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A really fine arrangement of a great tune, and so well balanced, David. Love the blend of instruments you have here.
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    The multi-wizard strikes again. My heart's blood melting like butter on a sandwich. Even W.B. Yeats couldn't say no to that.
  10. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Quite fantastic David, the playing, the mix of instruments and quality of the recording.
    I now for something a bit different! We used to play this in our band so I've done a quick run through on the Irish Bouzouki. Played on a Tom Buchanan bouzouki in GDAD.
    Apologies for the useless camera angle - I'd forgotten the bouzouki is so much bigger than the mandolin.

11. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nicely done, James. Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I did purchase some new recording equipment so perhaps this is evidence that I have learned to use it correctly.
  12. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I agree. I really like the sound of that solo arrangement, James. What a wonderful sounding instrument.
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine solo arrangement and a great sound from your bouzouki, James. You've given me food for thought, as has David!
  14. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    James, very well done. Your tune sounds multi-instrumental even though it was played solo !

John, I agree also, the tune has me thinking. It does need multiple instruments as it can get repetitive without. Maybe you can get your digital cello out for it!

This is the first I have heard this tune. It is really quite a beautiful melody despite it's simplicity (or because of it?). So, why is that? What is it about the tune that makes it so wonderful? It isn't overly minor and sad but is melancholic. The chord progression isn't your typical bluegrass pattern of course - does the progression fit with typical Scot ayres? Interestingly the chord progression is palindromic - the first line is D A G D G A D - or at least that is the way I played it based the chord progression from The Sessions for "An Traigh Mughdhorna".

In poking around I came across Orla Fallon singing the tune on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_VtaD9Wchk

Wow, what a voice!!
  15. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Here's my take on this tune. Ode to a Butterfly has been kicking my butt so took time out to record this. Also, used it to learn how to use iMovie. Thanks to Stuche for pointing me at youtube for iMovie help. Still some things I can't do. For example, the pic in pic of me is backwards... Also dusted off my fiddle. First time I have played it in a serious way for almost 20yrs. I double tracked the fiddle to try to average out the intonation, or lack of it.

The video is from around my garden. We started raising bees recently. It has been a good year for them. Already have 100 pounds of honey from the two hives and should get some more.
  16. justkaron
    justkaron
    Bob...just a wonderful production all the way around. Garden is stunning and so enjoyed seeing the bees at work!
    Lovely rendition of tune brings it all together.
    Thanks for this.
  17. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That was nicely done Bob, the fiddle playing sounded great, if I could play that well I wouldn't have sold my fiddle. I've got a bee hive in one of my redwood trees, I'll have to make a video.
  18. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Your fiddle sounds great, Bob and really adds to the beautiful arrangement! Those bee hives look like such a fun hobby.
  19. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    David - Thanks and I would love to see bees in a redwood!!

Marcy - Thanks and I would love to hear more of your fiddle in your posts. You really nail it with your fiddle, I'm jealous.
  20. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very professional yet pastoral production Bob. I liked the hummingbird scene.
  21. crisscross
    crisscross
    Great versions David and James, quite different from each other, but that's one sign of a great tune: it works in different settings.
    I know, I'm almost 5 years late, but I rediscovered this tune only some days ago. For my self-ordained tremability program, I was looking for a tune, that is slow enough to play the tremolo in 32th notes. I found Sally Gardens and recorded the background at 72 BpM. Now, even I was able to play eight 32th notes per quarter note. As the next step, I plan to record a tune at 80 BpM. Any suggestions?
  22. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I love this song but never tried to play it on mandolin.
    Great versions here (couldn’t see Bob’s).

I like to watch how you improve your ability to play tremolo systematically, crisscross. I embedded some tremolo in my practice routine but I’m not this perseverant as you.
  23. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Great version of this tune. Sally Gardens is one I have always liked but never learned. I guess I will have to remedy that.
  24. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Frithjof and Robert!
  25. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Tried to play the video but it says "removed by user".
    In any event here is a version I found with double stops on non-adjacent strings so some hybrid picking was required.
  26. crisscross
    crisscross
    Sorry! I re-recorded the tune with one of my bowlbacks and deleted the version recorded with my A oval hole.
    I'm not sure I played it better, but I love the fragile bowlback-sound a little better...
  27. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    This is very nice! I really like the sound of your bowlback mandolin. I also like how smooth your tremelo is. Great job.
  28. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    All very nice renditions; 4 posts and 3 keys! I enjoy resurrections, and I especially enjoy wonderful slow tunes. Playing along with posters is fun for me.

Nice bowlback sound you have there, crisscross.
  29. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Interesting version, maudlin. Would be nice if you could give us a hint were to find a pdf.

Hard to compare to versions of your playing, crisscross, since you deleted the first.
  30. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Robert and Kay, excuses to Frithjof. The Bowlback is a Guriema.
    That's a German brand that was discontinued about a year ago.
    You can get them used for good prices and they sound and play just fine...
  31. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Maudlin - That is an interesting and complex arrangement. Interesting though. Thanks for sharing.
  32. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Frithjof - I came across this arrangement while doing lessons with Mike Marshall - this is why I adopted his recommended posture with left leg raised and slightly hunched over. The arrangement is a bit busy and I really intended it as an exercise in hybrid picking.
  33. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Good hint, Maudlin. I have to check my collection of downloaded sheet music when I'm at home again.