Flett From Flotta/Calum's Road

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Following on from Jill's recent prodigious output, I got together this week with my accordion-playing band-mate in The Old Bores and we put together this pair of tunes, on accordion, mandolin, octave and guitar.

The tunes are a 4/4 pipe march, Flett From Flotta, and a modern Scottish Classic, Calum's Road, written by Donald Shaw of the top Scottish band Capercaillie. I will post the abc of Flett when I have done it but am not too sure about whether I can post Calum's Road as it might well be copyright being such a fairly recent tune, though there is a version on The Session website!

Photos again taken (this afternoon in fact in a rare moment of sunshine) very near home on Loch Eck here in Cowal.

2. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Lovely music and lovely scenery. Thank you John.
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    great stuff John, that was the business sir!
  4. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    You've got a great band there, John. What a fun pair of tunes and excellent playing.
  5. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    It was a tough day and you 'Old Bores' made my heart smile.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Sorry for the delay, but here is the abc file of Flett fae Flotta I said I'd transcribe for any interested parties. The story is that P.M Donald McLeod was travelling by train to London with William Flett, both pipers in the Seaforth Highlanders. It seems they were on the train guarding the regimental silver which was going down to London to a Regimental Dinner and to pass the time they composed this tune. Wm Flett was in fact from the island of Flotta. Now there's a good story behind a tune!

X:1
    T:Flett Fae Flotta
    C:P.M.Donald McLeod/WA Flett
    O:Scottish Highland Bagpipe
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    Q:
    K:A major
    N:Transcribed - J Kelly
    V:1
    fe|:c>e cBc2 Ac|e>f ece2ce|f>e faf2ec|f>e cA B2 fe
    |c>e cBc2 Ac|e>f eca2A>B|c2a>e c2B>c|1A2A>BA2fe:|
    |2A2A>BA2Ac|:e2Aca2Ac|e>f ece2 Ac|a2Ace2ce|
    f>e cAB2fe|c>e cBc2 Ac|e>f ec a2A>B|c2a>e c2B>c|1A2A>BA2Ac:|
    |2A2A>BA4||
  7. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Thankyou for this John. These pipe tunes sound nice on the O.M.. Another nice one to learn.
  8. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Here is my recording of "Flett from Flotta", another of the tunes from Nigel Gatherer's free PDF "The Great Scottish Composers" (Link). Inevitably, after recording it, I find that John has preceded me again.

I have recorded the tune on solo waldzither (in GDAEA tuning), using Nigel's transcription and a few drone harmonies added on the repeat. Somewhat slower than John's session recording, and perhaps with more of a march feel.

1925 Jul. Heinr. Zimmermann waldzither (solo)

Martin
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That's a great-sounding instrument, Martin, and suits the pipe tunes well. Not sure about your claim to have more of a march feel to it, though. . Our version is what we'd play for the dance The Gay Gordons.
  10. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Hi John -- thanks for the kind words! I like that waldzither for its ringing harmonies. It's a very resonant instrument especially on the open strings and that gives it a bagpipey drone.

I didn't mean any criticism of your version, which sounds great especially in the interplay of accordion and OM and has a toe-tapping dance feel. I just meant that most other versions I listened to were slower than yours, which I guess is the difference between a pipe march played at marching tempo as opposed to one played at dancing tempo for the Gay Gordons.

Martin
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Hi Martin, nor do I intend any criticism of your playing of the tune. It's always good to hear how other folk interpret a piece of music. In fact on our version we have played Calum's Road in a tempo it was not written in either. Donald Shaw's original version is much closer to a Strathspey than to our Gay Gordons tempo.

On a more sombre note, Derek Macdonald, the accordionist on the version we played, passed away in January of this year and we are still feeling his loss both as a musician, but even more as a friend.
  12. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friend John. This recording is wonderful. I was listening to it, having missed it the first time you posted, and scrolled down and read your sad news. I hope it is some comfort that you have recordings of his music to remember him by.
  13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    What a grand combination and feel, John. I took out my OM and played along to Calum's Road, and it felt like an honour even through the layer of technology.

As for speed, I can march better and more fluently to John's and Derek's rendition, but then I am a rather brisk walker (which you better be, if you want to get anywhere with the regiment before nightfall, or so I guess). Martin's solemn timing reminds me more of Changing of the Greek Guards
  14. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    This was on my to-do list for a very long time. Now the calendar has really added some urgency, so I had to learn this in half a day! Luckily, it's not a difficult tune.

Have a good Burns Night tomorrow!
  15. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Clear sound, Dennis.
  16. Brian560
    Brian560
    That sounds good, especially for learning it in less than a day
  17. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Dennis, a very fine version here! It is good sometimes to hear a tune played unaccompanied so that the melody can be enjoyed without distraction. When I originally posted the version back in 2011 - almost eight years ago - I had a reply from someone on YouTube to say that they were a relative of the actual William Flett. Small world.
  18. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    John, I tried to sound as Scottish as your older submission, but didn't quite get there! I'm so pleased that you listened and liked it - and Brian and Frithjof too. Thanks a lot!
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I could march to that, Dennis. And the clear voice of the Fylde sounds like it would ring out over the glens unashamed.
  20. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Gelsenbury -- I'm glad you brought this great tune back out to the top, and with fine playing.

John -- interesting story behind the tune, for sure, and pretty cool you were contacted by a Flett relative
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/1h0lq...u7ck9kaxq&dl=0

Great performances lads! John, Martin and Dennis.
    Sorry I missed this. I've just recently been looking for some lively music, et voila!!