Week #487 ~ Pathway to the Well

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week’s winner is Pathway to the Well, which was submitted as an IT jig. I’m on the road, posting from my phone, so I would appreciate it if one of you helpful members could provide some links to notation and videos! At least I got it posted in a timely manner!
  2. Brian560
    Brian560
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Here's a slow version on the flute that may be helpful for folks learning the tune:

4. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    And here's John Carty playing it at speed - starts at about 2:46 on the video:

5. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great version here, first tune in the set, from John Carty and Matt Molloy:

6. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Here it is on a Gremlin. I pretty much ignored he tilde signs.
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Hi maudlin, nice picking.
    It’s every time very helpful for me to find a recording of a chosen tune played on mandolin and played in a tempo that is close to the "speed" I may achieve. Thanks.
  8. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one maudlin - I learnt this one last year but it's fallen down the list of tunes I run through regularly so I need to dust it off again and get a version recorded!
  9. Brian560
    Brian560
    nice version maudlin. you got it posted in record time, and the timing is superb as well.
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    It was fun to learn this tune.

11. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff!
  12. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Thanks, Maudlin and Frith, for your performances. I'm learning it with some triplets thrown in, only about two per part, and then only when it is easy on the fingers to include them. I'm hoping Jill will record and post so I can have a better idea of where to add triplets for a better overall sound.
  13. Brian560
    Brian560
    Nice playing on this one Frithjof. It is a fun tune to play. I don't know if I will add the tilde signs that Maudlin mentions. I have been trying to find out what they mean and I have yet to find a good answer.
  14. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    In standard notation the tilde sign indicates a" grupetto" or group of four notes, but that sort of ornament is not used in I T type tunes so it probably means a triplet, grace note, hammer-on or some other ornamentation usually used in celtic tunes.
  15. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Frithjof, your playing has become so good! That was really nicely played.
  16. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Here's me version of it, with the tenor banjo masquerading as a mandolin - counting down to the arrival of my Girouard oval A which should be getting the finish put on it as we speak - in the meantime, here's "The Pathway to the Well" for ye:

17. Brian560
    Brian560
    Flawless playing Jill. I’ll bet this tune will sound nice on the Girouard
  18. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Good versions all so far. A small step for the SAW group but a big leap for Frithjof, and congrats for that
  19. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Thanks Jill, for dusting this one off. Your triplets are great, as usual. I'm looking forward to hearing you play your Girouard soon.
  20. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Astonishing! I‘m overwhelmed with your great responses to my recording. Thanks to everybody.
    Jill plays in another league. Beautiful! I try to implement these three-tone-triplets in my playing. Until now it only works if I play the tune slower.
  21. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Cool tune and great versions from all. I haven't posted here in a long time, in fact I haven't played mandolin in a long time but this tune inspired me. A little rough around the edges but I had some fun.

22. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great playing and great to see you posting David! Sobell sounds lovely as always too!
  23. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Nice, David. I've played with you and Jill at 75% and am barely up to snuff there. It's fun, though.
  24. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    I decided to play with all the submissions, and I have to put Maudlin's on 75%, too. I can *almost* play steadily with Frith. It seems the older I get the slower my fastest speed is, and I've never been a fast player. That's a fraction of the reason I don't post here any more. Mostly, though, I don't post here because I encounter so many tech blunders it takes the fun out of playing and recording.

And I will add, there is nothing like listening to Jill's playing and her triplets.
  25. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Ah, cheers Kay, you're too kind! I'm back playing now since 2015 after a 4-5 year hiatus and feel like I'm only just getting my speed back. Definitely hear you about the tech blunder frustrations - any time I get new gear for recording there's always the struggle to get to grips with getting it to work! I'd like to learn more about recording at some stage, maybe that will be my 2019 New Year's resolution!
  26. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great you decided to post again, David. Amazing performance as ever.
    I like to watch your backing on the Cittern too. Would you kindly describe the tuning you use, please? I can’t find where you wrote it down in an earlier thread.
  27. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    The cittern in this video is tuned DGDAD, I sometimes tune it down to CFCGC if I'm playing a tune in C major.
  28. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks David.
  29. Brian560
    Brian560
    Excellent presentation David. I could not notice the rough spots you mentioned. The timing, phrasing and tempo all seem ideal.
  30. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    David, it's good to see you back, alive and picking like you've never been away.
  31. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Well it has been a very long time but I liked this tune and thought I'd see if I can still remember how to post a version here. Please let me know if this doesn't work.

https://youtu.be/uIum1hd5m2s

well I see I got the link there but not the video like many of you do. Suggestions?

It worked, thanks!
  32. Brian560
    Brian560
    Robert, When posting a you tube:
    1-press the "Go Advance" button in the post in the post box
    2-there will be a red you tube button at the top. hover over the buttons for a description. It will say "wrap you tube tags around the select text"
    3- press the button and enter the last part of the you tube link you provided (uIum1hd5m2s)
    4-you have to say a few words also, you cant just provide a video
    5-prevew the message, and if you are satisfied post it

You did do a nice recording, it is very well played. I especially noticed how little movement there is in your fretting fingers. That is something I struggle with.
  33. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Very nice, Robert!
  34. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Thanks for the kind words, encouragement and instructions for uploading.

Robert
  35. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great performance, Robert. You play a bunch of sweet sounding instruments.
    BTW you play just this little step faster than me so that I can improve my abilities while playing along with you.
  36. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Frithjof,

Thank you. Too bad you are a little far away to be able to get together. That would be fun.
  37. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    For sure it would be fun, Robert.
  38. Brian560
    Brian560

Here is my try at this time. It’s recorded on my phone.
  39. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Recorded with my Gibson A0 and a TP50 pick.
  40. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Very nice! I really like the sound you get out of your mandolin. I liked the slide show too.
  41. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Clean tone and a matching choice of pictures.
  42. Brian560
    Brian560
    Dusty Amps, that is a nice presentation
  43. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    I agree, and your submission is nice, too, Brian. I appreciate you guys posting videos for us... I'm quite deficient in that respect but I do enjoy playing along with you, even if I have to slow it down to 75% and sometimes 50%.
  44. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely dustyamps! And what a gorgeous tone you're getting from your mandolin as well!