November 2018 Tune Project

1. Sleet
    Sleet
    November's tune project is traditional favorite "Old Joe Clark". Old time or bluegrass - you choose. There is a lesson and backing tracks at Mandolessons: https://www.mandolessons.com/lessons...old-joe-clark/

Lots of other lessons and examples online.
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Hmmmm. This was the first real tune I learned from Pete Seeger's "How to Play the Five String Banjo". I really ought to learn it on the mandolin, if only for old times sake. I wonder if I can adapt that version to mandolin. Stay tuned. Don't touch that Grover.
  3. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I have been browsing on the net looking at various versions of Old Joe Clark. I have not been really excited by most of the mandolin versions, so I started looking at fiddle versions. I started by Googling ["Old Joe Clark" fiddle lesson] without the brackets, of course.

I found it remarkably easy to follow along with some of the fiddle instructors and I got simple to advanced versions that give me a lot more stuff to try out before I decide what I am going to do with this tune. No mandolin tabs, though.

This guy fiddlehed has something for everybody: see https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...arke+fiddlehed
  4. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Brad has three versions teaching basic melody, ornaments, etc. that helped me with this tune a while back. Cost for his lesson is $8 http://www.bradleylaird.com/playthem...joe-clark.html

5. BJ O'Day
    BJ O'Day
    Such a simple tune but there is a lot that you can do with it.

BJ
  6. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Wheweeee. Old Joe Clark got cool!
  7. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    OK. I'm now inspired to learn this tune! I saw Andy Statman in New York in May at the synagogue where the trio plays each week. We were in a small room and there were about 20 people. I got to hold Andy's mandolin, embarrassing myself in the process. It was well worth it.
  8. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    When I bought this LP, I thought Doug Dillard had surpassed Earl Scruggs. I thought the mandolin sounded pretty good, too, but heck, it was just this little bitty thing like a ukelele. Banjo rules, right? Now I listen to this and say Dougie was pretty good but Wow Dean Webb was absolutely fantastic on the mandolin.

"old Joseph"

Sorry for the blurry picture, but I didn't post this video.
  9. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    Hey, that Grisman guy is pretty good . . . he makes everything look effortless.

[Sometimes I really hate people like that.]
  10. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    Well, I have been working on this one for quite a while.

If I can figure out how to video or audio and post it I think I may play this month.
  11. Bluegrasscal_87
    Bluegrasscal_87
    Here’s my crack at it. Tried to get a little fancy the second time through .

If the embed doesn’t work, here’s the link. I can never seem to get it right haha: https://youtu.be/PTufKkkAeMo
  12. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Hey Hey - gettin' dow-an on that last pass, Bluegrascal!

13. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Hey, BG_87, that was great. It sounds like you and I have some of the same sources -- I hope I can do as well. I like your slides. I have trouble getting them to go to or stop at the right fret sometimes. I usually do ok if I am looking at the fretboard, but if I am looking out into space, I'll usually end up on the wrong fret.
  14. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Nice one!
  15. bbcee
    bbcee
    Really nice! I like those open-sounding chords in the first B sections & that staccato time you're playing second time around. Good job!
  16. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Here's my piece. I have a lot of descriptive stuff on the YouTube site so I won't repeat it here. I'll just add that I am playing a new for me mandolin. My previous absolute favorite was my Weber Yellowstone 2 pointer. I still love it, but ... this one makes me neglect my 2 pointer.

Or you can find all the description here: http://honketyhank.com/2018/11/30/20...old-joe-clark/
  17. bbcee
    bbcee
    Wow Henry, your playing has gone up another couple of notches! I'm hearing a lot of confidence in your playing. Great variations too.

That new mandolin is an absolute beast as well - it sounds like a Ferrari that just needs a tap on the gas to take off at 180 MPH.
  18. bbcee
    bbcee
    Here's my go at it - the first time around is how I originally learned it (but played on mandola here), the second is a variation I generated in TuneFox and played on my oval hole, and the third is from Jack Tuttle's book "Spicing up Fiddle Tunes for Guitar and Mandolin" on my A5. the guitar backing track is from the Flatpick Apprentice site - thank you for this great resource! There's u-bass in there too - my first crack at doing anything bass-related. Fun stuff.

If it sounds like I'm going down a hill with the brake lines cut in the third round, it's cause I was! I found it challenging to stay in the pocket at that tempo, and the fingerings are fiendish.

19. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    bbcee - I did have that Ferrari up to 180 (bpm) at one point but I couldn't hold on, even though the gas pedal was only halfway down. Thanks for the comments. I've been working with the metronome. I think that is helping me get the motor going without too much intentional cranking.

Your mandola sounds rich. Also, "Round and Firm and Fully Packed", but that phrase has already been taken. I like the free and easy sound of your arrangement. Kinda jazzy but in a moseying kind of way.
  20. BJ O'Day
    BJ O'Day
    Nice playing Hank.
  21. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Thanks BJ.
  22. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Great job, and hat's off to both Bruce and HonketyHank. I commented on Henry's page already, bbcee has continued to expand in so many ways since I first made his acquaintance. I admire your growth on so many instruments, Bruce, you are doing the music justice and having tons of fun with your multitrack experiments. All you guys are a great bunch to learn and grow with, and it is a pleasure getting to enjoy the fruits of your endeavors. Thanks for sharing with us.
  23. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    P.S. - Again I fail to make a submission for T.O.M. (it's become a regular thing for me to miss it seems), but I did get to play this tune yesterday at the Pearl Bluegrass Jam and Stage Show in Pearl, Texas. I played mandolin in a jam for about an hour and a half, then switched to guitar for a couple rounds. That was when somebody called out Old Joe Clark, so I played it (or rather ruined it) when I took a break. But it was great fun.
  24. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Jeez Louise, that was awesome bbcee
  25. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Hank, your playing has improved so much, that was really enjoyable to watch and listen. Your studio though is starting to look more like a mandolin store
  26. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thanks for the nice comments.

Mark, I await your return, and I think everyone else on here as well. At least you're getting out and playing!

I wouldn't mind shopping in Hank's store!!
  27. Bluegrasscal_87
    Bluegrasscal_87
    Great jobs HH and Bbcee! HH that was real smooth. You've got the up/down stroke thing down pat and it shows. I like the speed you put the second go round; I think we did have similar sources ;-)

Bbcee - that's a gorgeous mandola! You've got a real smooth approach to the tune, which I like. Good job on the u-bass!
  28. jpugh
    jpugh
    I know Nov had come and gone, but I’m late to the party here, (looks like a great group though!, w lots of good/helpful stuff!)
    I like this guy, I know this tune on banjo but not yet on mando, so I won’t lookin, thx to err body for all the great links and such!
    I like this guys version, esp the 2nd one
    https://youtu.be/CoZhlaadF6k
  29. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    yes, he has some interesting wrinkles embedded in that second version. Thanks for posting it.