Reactions to Stiver Mandolins...

1. Amanda Gregg
    Amanda Gregg
    Hi everybody,
    I'm from Pittsburgh originally, and anybody who's anybody in the 'Burgh has a Stiver, but when I moved to Connecticut this August, I was curious how New Englanders and others would react.

Generally, when I go to jams and hit my first chop, heads turn. The most common comment I get is, "Hey, where the hell IS that?? No, really, what the hell is THAT??" And I feel really exotic when I explain that it's a "Western Pennsylvania mandolin, handmade by Louis Stiver."

I took it with me to the jam at the Station Inn in Nashville a few weeks ago, and the reaction was similar. When I walked out, people in the back of the room told me that my mandolin was the only sound they could make out clearly in the back of the room.

Does anybody else have any great Stiver reaction stories?
    -Amanda G.
  2. Demetrius
    Demetrius
    I can honestly say my Stiver is a mandolin I could never sell...
  3. JeffD
    JeffD
    Late to the discussion. I have had similar reactions to my Stiver. My only only complaint is that the particular instrument I have is such a bluegrasser that it "sticks out" in other contexts, like classical or even old time. My buddy calls it "more Gibson than Gibson".

Well there is also the performance anxiety - folks hear it and expect me to tear into some bluegrass that I can't as yet accomplish.