Week #30 ~ Cattle in the Cane

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Cool!
  2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Mark, that's not only well played but a great video too! You look quite the part as a musical storyteller.
  3. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Hendrik, JL, Gelsenbury - Thanks for the comments. I'm glad you enjoyed my whimsical version and the video that goes with it, it was a lot of fun to make!
  4. bbcee
    bbcee
    Great Mark - you really got into the zone. Fun version, and the video of course is excellent!
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great entertainment, Mark.
  6. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Thank you Bruce & Frithjof, glad y'all enjoyed that.
  7. bbcee
    bbcee
    I posted this to the Newbies Song of the Month this month and thought to share it here as well.

I like the instrumentation I wound up using & that I'm playing closer to a real tempo. Of course there's warts!!

8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Bruce, that is a really pleasing recording you have made. Congratulations on a fine bit of playing and recording.
  9. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I like your version, Bruce. It’s nice to hear the tune with the deeper voices of your instruments.
  10. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thanks very much, John & Frithjof. I am enjoying exploring these tonalities, although my mandolins are growing very sad. Maybe I'll just play them down the octave!!
  11. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    bbcee, nice playing and recording. Thanks for sharing.
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Cattle in the Cane is tune 30 in the
    SAW GROUP TOP 30 BEST TUNES.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...413&do=discuss

Nice playing Bruce, love the full chords, and thanks Mark too for the motivation to learn this great tune.
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks this time goes to David Benedict for actually motivating myself to learn and post this cracking tune!
    Hope you guys can hear the livestock in this one. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/bRjBpe6Eln8

New mongrel set of strings after three and a half years. They're from two packs of scavenged but new guitar strings, one set was custom acoustic the other electric! A 46 and a 42 electric together on the low G. Unfortunately they’re both a bit light to give the rounded hardwood tone that I like but there you go.
    Will try some soon flatwounds if I can find them.
    Then I buffed them a bit with emery paper to take off the bright squeaking(!)
  14. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Your playing really shines with the new strings, Simon!
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Christian but I did find the slack G string very difficult to play.
    I tried it without the capo but the two strings on that course had a terrible buzzing sound. I didn’t think gauge .45 and .42 were that different. But they actually feel different too, the larger one seems to be rougher with a warmer tone.
    But all is good here, first day in three weeks where the temperature has risen above freezing. Lots of people out and about being nice to one another.

Also my hearing is a bit off at the moment so if anyone has any descriptions of sound quality that would be most appreciated (it sounds like an echo chamber to me!).
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A sterling performance, Simon. Those aged strings deserve to be framed and mounted, surely? The new ones do sound a bit slack and lacking in tension and different from your usual recording sound, but then if your previous recordings were on strings over three years old, there would be a difference in the sound. Considering you have put the set together from various sources, you still manage a very fair sound. You may well have taken a few months off their lives by grinding them with emery paper, but over all, a very commendable piece of playing here.
  17. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Fine playing, Simon. I could imagine the cattle dancing on the pasture.
  18. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks John and Frithjof, here’s what the old strings looked like underneath. I’m amazed they needed the top of the bridge to be bashed in order to get one of them to break. It’s as though my octave was talking to me -give me new strings, please!

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...5_pUbvBDH-Owg7

Also AMAZING how the top has ripened in colour. I love it. Almost pumpkin. All I need now is to do a turquoise design inlay around the soundhole and more turquoise on the headstock… Or silver too.
  19. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Fantastic! That sounded good, both in terms of playing and in terms of sound quality. I don't think I've ever seen you play so many slides before.

David Benedict seems like such a great guy! Is he one of your Peghead teachers, or how did he inspire you?
  20. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    LOL.
    I was inspired by finishing recording the last of the Top Thirty tunes of SAW, Dennis.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...413&do=discuss

I don’t believe David is on Peghead Nation but they do have a nice bunch of guys.
    He’s on Mandolin Mondays which is great too.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12