Missing Videos

1. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Heads up:

(edited next paragraph -- corrected text is underlined.)

It looks to me like any videos embedded using the filmstrip button prior to mid-November 2017 may or may not displayproperly. In fact, they appear to not even be there any longer (but they are, just not displaying). A similar problem may exist for Vimeo videos embedded using the filmstrip button.

See this thread for details.

I personally am not enthusiastic about leaving some of my wart infested videos around for posterity but I am in the process of digging through the Tune of the Month threads and re-embedding all my videos that fail to display. I hope any of you who are affected will do the same. I think they are a valuable resource for us Newbies that allow us to see others with problems similar to our own and to watch each other's progress in overcoming them.

I suspect the same problem exists throughout the mandolincafe site, not just in the Social Groups. The good news is that you can restore the video in your own old posts in Social Group threads. The bad news is that you can't do anything about the problem in your posts in the main forum (if it is, as I suspect, a problem there). Also, if you want your affected video in a Social Group thread to be re-embedded, you will have to do it yourself. Only you (and possibly somebody with administrator or moderator status) can edit your own post.

I am currently in the process of checking my older TOM threads for missing videos in my own posts and re-embedding them. I hope you guys will do the same - I saw evidence that many of you may be affected by this.

I will then start on my posted videos over at the Woodshed. Mark, I am especially concerned about our posts over there.
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I just did a quick scan of the lessons over in the Woodshed but I did not see any evidence of missing videos. The ones I posted were there but they seem to have been embedded by a third variant of the embed bbcode. This is getting strange.
  3. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    note that I editted the first paragraph of post #1 after reading Scott's response to my thread post in the main forum.

strongly advise reading this link Scott posted on how to embed videos.

and now I remember Mark G. posting some time ago on exactly this problem.
  4. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Henry, I remember also some time last year mentioning that posting YT videos in the manner prescribed in Scott's tutorial have the benefit of allowing use of the full screen button without having to visit YouTube, and I remember you responding to that and changing to that method at that time.

Also, using that method (use of the YouTube button rather than the generic video button) appears to be a bit more bullet-proof for preserving videos over time. For that reason, it's the only way that I embed videos in this forum (beginning about three years ago or so), so I'm not concerned about any of my videos at this point. If that method fails, I'll just have to let them go.
  5. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Looking at that thread from Scott, our exchange near the end (which got me censured and the thread locked down), it appears that I went through the same angst as you're having now in around May of 2016. That's when I began using the one consistent method. What started me on the HTML detective spree was a video posted by someone in this newbies group, which I couldn't see but others could.

By the way, that's when I learned that it is foolish to suggest changes to the forum software here
  6. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    re "" : make that (as in 'I been there too'). I love him though, warts and all.

Even though my videos are displaying correctly in the Woodshed group, I noticed that they do not use the correct bbcode, so I will be changing them. I think I got all mine corrected here in the TOM threads. But there are a lot of others' broken videos there.