Today, in dumb things I've tried to improve as a mando player

1. Liadan
    Liadan
    I've gotten into the habit of bringing my fingers unnecessarily high off the fret board, and was getting frustrated last night by that darn pinky! It just refused to stay down. My boyfriend jokingly suggested I use a rubber band to keep it tied to my ring finger, and well...

I played scales for awhile like that, and maybe the funniest thing is when I took the rubber band off my pinky did stay down. Only problem is I don't know if that was terrible for me or not!
  2. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Cool!

I've read about others doing this same thing, seems to help. I'll have to try it myself, I've noticed in some videos my ring finger wants to point straight up; actually looks like I'm deformed or something.

Thanks for sharing, especially with the photo!
  3. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    For my 2-cents . . . I don't think it really matters of your pinky or any other finger goes rogue while playing - just as long as the offending digit is not impeding your playing, let it go.
  4. Liadan
    Liadan
    Mike - the pinky is my worst offender, but sadly I have a habit of bringing my pointer high off the fretboard when it's not in use as well. I got hung up on Liberty for a few weeks and just couldn't get it to the bpm I wanted - suspect it's related to this. Unfortunately I think it is impeding my playing a bit.

Anyone else struggled with this?
  5. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I do. That 4th finger definitely has a mind of its own!
  6. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    Liadan my pointer is the rogue child occasionally after being well behaved, I'll look down and there it is pointing straight up. It was worse on guitar and probably is the reason I rarely play lead on guitar.
  7. Liadan
    Liadan
    Kevin - my pointer occasionally likes to go rogue too!