Reading Mandolin Tab

1. Michael Kinch
    Michael Kinch
    What does x refer to in mandolin tab? I came across some tabs that use x instead of a number and am wondering what it relates to.

Thanks,
  2. FredK
    FredK
    Michael, x normally denotes that a string is not played in a chord. If the chord your playing has an x on the G string, then the G would not be played or it should, at least, be muted. Hope this helps.
  3. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    If the x looks like it is supposed to be a note (like it has a stem and it is on one of the lines in the tab or in the music notation), it often means you are supposed to make some kind of non-musical sound -- like a hand clap or a foot tap or mute the string when you pick it or hit a gong or smash the banjo player over the head with a guitar.
  4. Michael Kinch
    Michael Kinch
    Thanks, that sounds good. As long as I don't have to hit the banjo player with my mandolin. Don't want to damage my instrument.
  5. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Yep, the x in notation or tab would be "muted" note.
  6. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Michael, the symbol for "whack the banjo player" is x x, like the eyes of a knocked-out cartoon character.
  7. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    LOL, I like that. Louise NM and HonketyHank always bring smiles to the table.

x x
    ~