Another original composition

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    After the interest in The Birdfeeder Waltz I thought I'd post another of my tunes, The Glenbranter Waltz. This is another internet collaboration with Ginny Aitchison, my Ontario-based musical colleague. I sent Ginny the notation and she recorded the mandolin on this collaboration; I then added tenor guitar and guitar to her melody track.

Glenbranter is a forestry village near my home just north of Loch Eck on the Cowal Peninsula of Argyll. It is a favourite place for walking and recreation. The pictures are taken around the glen and the falls there after heavy rains.

2. bbcee
    bbcee
    Another great composition, John, and the performance is really fine. The scenery fits the music nicely.
  3. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    John does a lovely job of composing tunes and setting them to great Scottish scenes. I just play the tune, record and ship via cyber space. He adds all the creativity and produces a lovely video. I'm not sure how I got to be a part of The Old Bores - but I will take it as a compliment.
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    This has some mysteriously Bavarian/Austrian Alps twang to it, especially the A part. If you play that with a zither, a hackbrett (Bavarian version of hammered dulcimer) and a parlor guitar and make sure the musicians are wearing lederhosen and dirndl, you have the perfectly credible Volksmusik setting.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I agree with Bertram -- that sounds very Bavarian indeed! But then, I have always felt a certain affinity of the older style of Scottish folk (circa James Scott Skinner to Jimmy Shands) with Alpine folk dance.

Well done both of you!

Martin
  6. crisscross
    crisscross
    It may indeed sound a little Bavarian-but very nice compostion and playing nonetheless!
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks for comments, folks. The collaborations with "withAstyle" are proving a lot of fun and we have been trying out various tunes over the past few months and hope to continue with this. It is great to be able to bounce ideas off someone else.

I am intrigued by the Bavarian/Austrian Alps connection metioned by Bertram. I once drove through Austria on my way to the Dolomites in the very early 1970s, but otherwise can think of no connection with the area, and I am not even aware of listening to the lederhosen and dirndl music, which I have always associated with "oompah" bands and beer festivals! I have never worn lederhosen (don't have the legs) nor even a kilt past the age of about 9 or 10, but I do love the music of Scott Skinner and Jimmy Shand. Martin rightly highlights the cross-fertilisation that goes on through our musical genres.

It is an interesting process trying to come up with new tunes, and they often seem to come from just sitting with an instrument and playing some notes and phrases which occasionally throw up something you think might well be developed further.
  8. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Love it John!!!
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    John mentioned "oompah" bands and beer festivals

Yes, that is the dark side. But there is a traditional, lighter side to it, played on a small scale with quiet string instruments. It is a bit like the Scottish tigh dubh tradition, i.e. neighbors gathering for an evening of music and storytelling (what else could they do in winter, snowbound in their wooden cottages?)
  10. Brian560
    Brian560
    John your collaboration worked out well. Its a nice tune that fits the photography. I will side with the folks that thinks it slightly Bavarian as I also can hear a subtle oompah pah.
  11. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Very nice flavor to that waltz, you two!
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks again from us both for positive feedback.
  13. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I's so good to hear original tunes from other mandolincafemembers. I hope this composing-virus is spreading fast. This tune sounds so different from the birdfeeder waltz, I guess you're going for variation in your compositions. Keep up the good work John. I love it!
  14. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Congratulations on your composition and recording.