Week #455 ~ The Birdfeeder Waltz

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Sherry says: "I suppose vanity is keeping me from posting my video. Not my best side! Anyway, if I don't have the violinist's video by this weekend, I'll post mine. I appreciate everyone's(?) interest".

Sherry, remember the Duke of Wellington's response when threatened by a courtesan who wanted money to keep him out of her memoirs: "Publish and be damned!"

Go for it and share your performance with us.
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    John, that strongly reminds me of what Ronnie Drew used to tell about Dicey Reilly.
  3. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Bertram, vanity is an affliction. It may be found only in the US at this time.

John, if I were the Duke of Wellington, I probably wouldn't care what you guys think about me.
  4. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    OK. I give in. We played 2 pieces. The first is My Heart is Filled with Thankfulness, which the violinist chose. At some point I noticed my chords weren't sounding very good and decided I was lost. You'll see I stopped until I could figure out where we were. Miraculously, both the violinist and our teacher said they didn't notice.

Putting vanity aside, here's the video.

https://youtu.be/R82toiTuK_o
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Sherry, that was a good performance from you both, and you played standing up too! Seriously, I find it easier to have a seat nowadays when playing live - relaxes me more and makes things a little less formal. The music stands give you a bit of cover, but not a lot and if you are new to performing you can be very conscious of your audience. Thanks for posting, and I look forward to more from you now that you have broken the ice.
  6. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Thanks, John. This is my third recital. I've posted videos of the others as well. I actually enjoy playing for an audience. I don't enjoy playing standing, though, and don't practice standing other than just before a recital.

Thanks for the encouragement.
  7. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Nice performance. Your 'lost' moment was just giving your partner the chance to solo, and you joined back in smoothly and at a good point. Well done! I wouldn't have noticed, either. Thanks for sharing
  8. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    You and John are quite the diplomats, Kay!
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    "Diplomat" is about the standard type of gentleman you can expect to meet here, Sherry
    But I'll second what Kay said - the mandolin made no audible mistakes and the mandolinist never looked lost or puzzled in this video, everything appeared to be running as planned and rehearsed (and let's face it, that is the most important skill a musician can have while performing).
    The fiddler has some potential to exploit for intonation yet, after that there's an open road to Carnegie Hall (and I trust Andrew Carnegie of Dunfermline would second that).
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Well said, Bertram, and trust you to manage to make a Scottish connection via Carnegie Hall!
  11. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Well done, Sherry! Thanks for sharing the video. As others have already pointed out, your "tacit" section appears planned, rehearsed and well-executed.
  12. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Ed's video. Our teacher is at the piano.

https://youtu.be/oys4F3A1YhQ
  13. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Bertram, some days I feel after 3 years my playing hasn't improved much. But it seems I have finally stopped making faces.
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thse two recordings do not do justice to your mandolin playing, Sherry. Using a phone with its small. fixed microphone(s) to record will not give you the opportunity of getting the balance right between the much more powerful fiddle and piano and your mando. The piano dominates this recording, followed by the fiddle, then the mandolin. Trying to get the three of you positioned at different distances from the phone would be nigh on impossible at the venue you are playing at in both videos.

Keep going now that you have tested the waters!
  15. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    "The piano dominates this recording, followed by the fiddle, then the mandolin."

I hadn't thought about this, John. My teacher had said I needed to play chords softer so the violin could be heard. Maybe I need to play melody louder. In any event, I'm pretty much stuck with smartphone recording.

I wouldn't have posted this second video, except that I liked that it showed some of the audience.
  16. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Had forgotten that I had posted this here 3 years ago! Oh, well, maybe some of you missed it then.

Still working on that rocking!

QR5x8_XncB8

Oops! It's not working. Oh, well, if you're bored and want to see the video of Mark Gunter and me, I think the original posting is on page 2 of this thread. And I now see where I posted my playing this at a recital just a few posts back.

Still love this waltz, John! Hopefully, I play it better now.
  17. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Obviously, Sherry wanted to post the following video. It shows Sherry and Mark doing a nice job until a surprisingly end.

18. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Thanks, Frithjof! That one's kind of fun. I'm actually embarrassed I mentioned the recital video. It's one to be missed.
  19. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good to hear my tune again, Sherry. Thanks for posting and I love that huge bird which must have landed on the music stand at the end. Very honest of you to keep that in the video.
  20. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    How could I miss this beautiful waltz? Great versions so far and Sherry and Mark do a nice job. I tried it on tenor guitar with steel string guitar accompaniment, both instruments relatively new to me, so please excuse minor inacurracies.

When I tried the Youtube-Wrap option, it showed a black video without content.
  21. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That’s a beautiful version with nice video footage, Christian.
  22. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely version, Christian. I am still very touched that people are still playing this tune, and each version has something of its performer in it.
    When you put the YT url into the YouTube wrap option, you need to delete everything to the left of the "/" or you get the black screen you mention. Leave the "/" in.
    Thanks for recording the tune with your usual skill.
  23. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Well you know you wrote a good song John when there are three pages of playing and commenting. CC did a lovely performance here. So may nice ones.
  24. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Light and airy, Christian, like a bird on the wing.
    I like that picture of a blue tit in front of nuts too big for it to eat
  25. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Really pretty version Christian. As are they all! I don't even know how I missed this. What a beautiful song John.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123