Inconsistency

1. HackMando
    HackMando
    I have been at it for about 2 months and manage to find time just about every day to practice. One thing that is very frustrating for me is that I can play a tune or two in the morning and just nail it (for me that is, nailing it being relative and all) and get pumped up and get home and it's a train wreck. And it's not always better in the morning as sometimes I stink it up then and then do much better in the evenings. anybody else do this?

And I'm thinking about taking some lessons. any of you plink along for a while on your own and then go get some professional help? did it help alot?
  2. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Yes the same here. Some days I will be really good, then the next day is horrible! I don't know what the problem is. Most likely its not the mando, but the operator!
  3. Mandobart
    Mandobart
    Definitely some days/hours are better than others. The worst for me is being able to pick a tune fast and flawless at home, then not be able to pick it at all in my jam group. I think that's more of a nerves/performance anxiety thing.
  4. banjoboy
    banjoboy
    What will eventually happen is that even though you can tell the difference, others won't...so even when you think you suck, you won't
  5. kristallyn
    kristallyn
    true
    on any instrument I play it has been like that, total frustration because that song that went so wel just was horrible the same day or a day later
    it s just that it takes your brain a lot to process all the information you are feeding it when you play an instrument
    after a while your fingers will get there own "memory" of songs" and you can actually order them to play, ..and even then there will be days you just won t get it as well as you d like too and other days when your concentration will be sharp and your body rested so you ll play great
    no one will probably hear it by then...you ll know..they won t
    just keep at it..
    what works is..play a couple of times a day if you can , shorter sessions.
    playing to long will ruin your concentration
    also ..try playing a song just ONCE before you go to bed..
    during your sleep the brain can process information, and I bet the song will go a lot better the next day ( just my experience)
    good luck!
  6. Phil Sussman
    Phil Sussman
    "also ..try playing a song just ONCE before you go to bed..
    during your sleep the brain can process information,..."

I like this idea. Does putting the mandolin under your pillow help?
  7. kristallyn
    kristallyn
    if your head is not to heavy that might be an idea haha
    I d put it in its case if I were you, and maybe an extra pillow just in case
    But seriously , playing a song before your going to sleep does work , it has been shown scientifically that the brain needs sleep to handle information..
    I ve been doing this for years and honestly it works haha
  8. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    I play every night before I go to bed. And yes it does help remember the song the next day. I just can't remember the songs I played last week!
  9. kristallyn
    kristallyn
    hahaha well I suggest you put your mando under your pillow for a week LOL
  10. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Ha no way! It is too precious!
  11. Christian Flanagan
    Christian Flanagan
    Hack, I took two beginner classes right off, 15 weeks of 1 hour group lessons, just to get a good foundation of knowledge and establish a practice routine. Having someone to answer questions, offer guidance or provide quick solutions to initial problems is worth it.
  12. Norm Buck
    Norm Buck
    I think inconsistency is just the nature of playing when one is a newbie (like I am). Sometimes you're on, sometimes you're off. The important thing is to keep playing. Pick it up as often as you can. Play your scales or your songs or your exercises as often as you can. It will come to you.
    There is a quote about perspiration vs. inspiration. Perspiration gets the basics down...I'm finding that inspiration comes at odd times during my practice sessions. It's like the light bulb comes on, sometimes.

Norm