To late to jump in on the MMC Series?

1. Guitfiddle Mike
    Guitfiddle Mike
    I see a few of you are working through Brad Laird's MMC in another group. Great group practice concept and It looks like you are moving right along with it. Would it be to much of a problem if someone started late and tried to play catch up? Don't really have a feel for how the group advances but the last thing I want to do is disrupt the flow.

Would it be best to wait a hop aboard when/ if it starts up again?

Mike
  2. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Hi Mike, I started that group myself, was inspired by stuff here in the Newbies section to do it.

Good question, I'm glad you asked. There is never a bad time - will never be a bad time - to get started in the Woodshed Group. One of the main reasons for doing it in an online group setting is that we leave a trail, and anyone can start at any time just by getting the ebook and starting on Lesson One. So you're golden!

My own posting of lessons came to a halt after lesson five or six, I believe. Henry Stevens (HonketyHank) posted a couple of great lessons after that. I've had plans to post my next two lessons this month, but my new year has not gone as expected. I became very ill in January and lost my voice. I recently had a really bad relapse, and on top of that, my voice still has not returned. All this means that I am not at this point sure at all when I will actually make another video either speaking or singing.

Right now, I'm doing well enough to study and play mandolin again after about a week off, and hope to be posting more in here and in the Woodshed. I'm available to help people in the Woodshed threads no matter where they are along the path. Also, Henry and others, including Brad Laird himself, are always available to help as well.
  3. Guitfiddle Mike
    Guitfiddle Mike
    Thanks Mark, I hope you get well soon.
  4. Posterboy
    Posterboy
    Hey Mike, I need to add some more 'technique' stuff to my practice time so I'm up for starting MMC with you if you want some company. I need the push to record video etc without a teacher whipping me
  5. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    There are a lot of good things to learn about how to practice in MMC, but I should warn that it is not really a course about technique; rather it is heavy on music theory and mandolin theory - and applying those for improvising.

In the Woodshed we can always focus on technique though, by discussing technique and making videos. By technique, I'm thinking of hammer-ons, pull-offs, slides, rhythm patterns and tricks, right hand position, left hand position, tremolo, duo-style, etc. Technique is not really covered there in the text, though; instead, the course is heavy on learning music theory, scales, arpeggios, chord building, etc.
  6. Posterboy
    Posterboy
    My music theory knowledge is pretty good, but as a newbie applying it onto the mandolin fretboard is the challenge, getting the fingerings solidified and have things happen 2nd nature as they are on the guitar. So whilst technique isn't covered in the text it will get hammered in the practical application of it all, if I practice it correctly...
  7. Guitfiddle Mike
    Guitfiddle Mike
    Well, to be honest, my music theory is lacking. I have tried a few times to sink my teeth into it over the years with my guitar playing. There always seems to come a point in my theory journeys where I'm moving along smoothly and then BAM, information overload, and I get stuck and eventually set it aside.

I'm thinking maybe that Brad's MMC may be in steps to that could help me over the hump. Its worth a try for sure.

Mike
  8. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    When Mark started the woodshed group, I was like not my thing. I have a pretty good handle on music theory and "knew" from jazz band that improv was not my forte. I didn't want to play bluegrass mando. I had done the bluegrass thing on guitar. I was having fun just noodling on the mando. All these excuses sounding familiar? But after being to a couple of jams I know that I need to get better. So the metronome has come out I'm working basic single octave scales across the mando at increasing tempos. Playing quarter notes then eighth notes then sixteenth, then triplet sixteenths, and finally 32nd notes (tremolo). That lead to some FFcP scale exercises including arpeggios heck who doesn't want a better left hand pinkie. Longwinded way to say I may show up in the woodshed one of these days.
  9. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Kevin, hope you do that and maybe get something out of it, anyone is welcome there regardless of skill or knowledge level.

Posterboy and Guitfiddle Mike, if you do get into it be sure to share anything that might help others, and don't hesitate to discuss any issues or questions you might have.
  10. Guitfiddle Mike
    Guitfiddle Mike
    Will do Mark. Im reading thru the book right now.