Humours of Glendart

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Have had a trawl through the past lists and could not see this jig listed - though it may well have been as it is a great wee tune.
    Here is my version, as a change from my recent pipe tunes and prompted by Jill's recent postings, played on bouzouki and tenor banjo. With those instruments it might well go to the tenor banjo or the octave mandolin groups, but I'm posting it here:

2. cjprince
    cjprince
    Lovely tune, John. Sounds great!
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    great stuff John! Your banjo sounds great!
  4. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Thanks for the great tune and relaxing video, John. Very enjoyable.
  5. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    like Jill says John, great stuff, one of my favourite jigs, it was the first tune i was taught by Belfast banjo player Gerry McCartney.

6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Lawrence - surprised more folk haven't had a go at this one - speaking of which, I must try to get a clip of it recorded when I get a spare moment!
  7. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    TEF file for Std Notation and TABs|
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...9&d=1310472637
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, gortnamona! I am curious about that instrument you are playing - who's the maker? Jill, looking forward to your version when you get round to doing a recording of it.
  9. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    hi John
    it was made by Andy Tobin

http://www.tobininstruments.co.uk/mandolins.html
  10. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    This is one I have been meaning to learn for a long time. Music from the bbc virtual session and played on a Savannah.

11. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Thanks for posting this one up John a great rolling tune, great versions by all:

12. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Another great tune John, will have a bash at it. Great versions here and Harry, glad to see that Weber get an airing.....
  13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Aye, your Gallatin is sounding particularly lovely Harry, and of course nicely played by yourself as well!
  14. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Humors of Glendart from O'Neill's followed by Jackson's Morning Brush from Edward Bunting's 1840 collection.
  15. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    through a trade offer in a local buy & sell site, i swapped my capek mandolin for a joe foley bouzouki, what a great instrument but now i have it , i'm not really sure what to do with it, at 261/2 scale length its impossible for me to play tunes on and even if i did know any chords, which i don't, i wouldnt know what to do with them, so just messing about with a capo at the minute, for some reason i seem to be able to relax a bit more with the longer scale length

16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Hi G, you are making good progress there with a new and much longer-scaled instrument! Can I offer you one or two suggestions? Get the pinky into action and try to use guitar fingering - one finger per fret - rather than mandolin where we tend to cover two frets per finger.
    As for chords, if you are tuned DGAE then the chords you played on your mando are usable on the big box, especially the two-finger chords which give you ringing open strings and which suit the bouzouki well with its great sustain.
    Don't overdo the stretching at first when you are playing; let your fingers learn to open out and keep the pinky working.
  17. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    sound advice John, sorry i didnt get back to you at the time, i didnt keep the foley long.

again on the pono octave, still one of my favourites this

18. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    gortnamona, that's awesome! I love it!
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Rocking the house, Lawrence
  20. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Lawrence - now I'm coveting a Pono octave!
  21. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Missed this one Lawrence. Lovely playing and a great instrument.
  22. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    It's almost painful to listen to my slow version from 4 years ago.
    Here's my current version after 4 years of practice.
  23. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine playing and such a clean picking style. You handle that tune very comfortably here, and four years is not that long a time!
  24. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Dustyamps, sounds really good!
  25. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    sounded great to me Dusty, i enjoyed playing along with it