Sharing Websites/Apps

1. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    It just occurred to me we Newbies can help each other by sharing websites and apps. I'll start with recommending the smartChord app for Android users. I've only scratched the surface, but there seems to be lots of cool stuff there.

Websites:

www.classic-country-song-lyrics.com (I've used this one a lot. You can print the song lyrics with chords - in any key.)
    www.sheetzbox.com (I've only looked at this one. Haven't used it. You can find free sheet music here.)
    www.traditionalmusic.co.uk (I haven't used this one. Not sure any of it is free. I may have gotten it from a Newbies post.)

If you have apps/websites to share, please do. And comment when you have something to say - so we'll know pros, cons, etc.
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Here is a link to a RTF document containing all the links I have for tunes. I used RTF because it should be loadable by all word processor programs and the links would be active. I didn't just list them here because it was too long and I was too lazy. But then I probably spent at least as much time getting the links out of Firefox and into the RTF document. Oh well.

Here is the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X0...5w-ms17aM_01MC

Of all those, I probably use mandozine, mandolessons, thesession.org, and JC's Tune Finder the most.

A lot of sites provide abc files, or at least display the abc notation which can be copied and pasted into a text document or an abc editor. ABC files can be imported, usually flawlessly, into TablEdit or TEFView. Many sites may offer midi files to play or download. These can also be imported into TablEdit, but sometimes with problems. Very few offer TEF file downloads.
  3. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    TEFs, ABCs, etc

abc | tune search – find music and abc format for tunes
    Lessons by Brad Laird – some are free
    Eddie Collins–Banjo, Guitar & Mandolin – Tabs – not many tunes
    FFcP Lessons
    Free Notes – a fair number of simple tunes. Pdfs, midis. No tabs
    JC's ABC Tune Finder – find midis, abcs, pdfs, gifs. No tabs.
    Mandolin Tab for Hymns – pretty easy versions. Pdfs w/music and tabs
    MandoIsland - The Website for Mandolin Players – some interesting classical music
    MandoLessons – Baron Collins-Hill's lessons for mandolin
    mandolintab.net – many pdf tabs and sheet music from thesession.org
    Mandozine: TEF files – lots of good mandolin tabs
    Nigel Gatherer's Traditional Music Site - Tunes Section – Haven't perused it but its gotta be good based on Nigel's near sainthood status.
    The Old Music Project – lots of session tunes in abc, midi, and gif format
    Old Time Fiddle Tunes – lots of old time fiddle tunes in midi or pdf format
    Prarie Mountain Fiddlers - tunes – lots of fiddle tunes including many Canadian. Pdfs.
    tunes on The Session – a gazillion session tunes in multiple versions. Abc, midi.
    The Séamus Connolly Collection of Irish Music – pdfs and soundcloud recordings
    SimplyMandolin. - small collection of tunes with pdfs
    Slowplayers.org - good collection of session tunes with slow and medium speed recordings. No tabs.
    SPUDS – tune list for a contra dance group in Pennsylvania. Abcs, and gifs
    TTA - The Traditional Tune Archive – a monster archive of British, Irish, North American traditional dance tunes and their history. ABCs and dots only.
    Traditional fiddle tunes in MIDI format... - a huge compendium English, Irish, and Old Time fiddle tunes in midi format.
    Trad Irish Music with music, tabs, midis – a subset of a huge trove of tunes in many formats.
    UK site w Mando Tabs – more tunes from the same trove as previous link
    The Wellington Session - tunes – Wellington NZ session tunes with a great slow-downer
  4. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Great resource, Henry, many I haven't visited, thanks.

About ABC's and Tabledit - I decided to post ABC whenever I do a song at SAW group. I figured that would be easy-peasy with Tabledit export. But I discovered that when I export stuff I've written in Tabledit to ABC, the slides, hammer-ns, etc.don't carry over.
  5. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Oh! That was quick. Thanks Mark. Just a copy and paste from RTF, huh?
  6. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Yeah
  7. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I mentioned how so many sites show, or allow downloads of, ABC files and that these usually import quite nicely into TablEdit. But there are gotchas sometimes. One common problem is that the ABC format has 'dialects'. TablEdit understands many of them. But sometimes the person who originally wrote the ABC's has funny ideas of how things ought to be written.

Another problem is that ABC files have no information in them about fingerings. ABC is just an alternative way of writing notes on paper. Standard music notation is far superior in what it can convey, but a lot of folks who don't read standard notation can read ABC notation. Anyway, when you import an ABC file into TablEdit, the software makes a guess (usually pretty accurately) at a way to play those notes on the mandolin. Every now and then, it makes some less than optimal guesses.

I do use an ABC editor every now and then: EasyABC. You can find a free download on the web if you google it. Using an editor is convenient when a website does not offer downloads, but does display an ABC version of a tune. I can copy the ABC portion, then paste it into EasyABC. From there I can play the tune or save it as an ABC file, which I can then import into TablEdit. If you don't want to use an ABC editor, you can paste into a Notepad document, save it, then rename it to replace the TXT extension with ABC. ABC files are just TXT files with a different file extension.

I mentioned elsewhere that I use BasicChords app on my iPhone as a quick chord lookup. It is free and surprisingly good.

If anybody has a decent free midi playing ap for iOS, let me know. Apple and midi are like oil and water.
  8. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Petrucci Music Library, also known as IMSLP. They have an unbelievable amount of music, all in the public domain. Heavy towards classical, but if you just type "mandolin" in the search bar you can download instruction books from different countries and eras. i was looking at a collection of Armenian folk songs the other day. The lyrics being in Cyrillic, I can't tell you what any of them were about, but they looked to be quite moving. http://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page

I don't remember where I found out about Mandotopia. The gentleman who has the website has links to many lovely pieces he has written, as well as some other work in the public domain. http://www.mandotopia.com/
  9. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Oh, and Sherry, I have pulled some things off the traditionalmusic.co.uk site, and I believe all of it is free. (Those tunes were all written by either Anon or Trad, and neither of those guys is around to collect royalties any longer.) The biggest problem with it is the sheer size. Approximately 74,356,409 individual tunes, with a few dozen variants of each.
  10. OneChordTrick
    OneChordTrick
    Another fan of traditionalmusic.co.uk. Helpfully you can also download an mp3 of the tune as well.
  11. Brian560
    Brian560
    If you want to collaborate with people online https://melosity.com/ is a good choice
  12. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Wow, Louise! $74 million! Let's see. If I start now, . . . .
  13. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    At a tune a month . . .
  14. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Marvels of the computer/communications/information era
  15. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    HonketyHank: "a lot of folks who don't read standard notation can read ABC notation"

That, to me, is amazing. I look at ABC and it appears as gobble-dee-gook text. I suppose it's like a non-programmer looking at php code.

Standard notation and tablature make plenty of sense to me, but ABC doesn't.
  16. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I believe I've given the dollar sign new meaning! Anyway, it looks like we Newbies will never run out of things to work on.
  17. 1359Bob
    1359Bob
    Re "I look at ABC and it appears as gobble-dee-gook text" Thanks Mark, I thought I was the only one!
  18. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Smart Sheet Music is an app recommended in the main forum. It is apparently used to turn the page if your music is on your tablet or smartphone.
  19. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    c'mon Mark even us programmers think php code is gobbledegook :D
  20. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Here ya go Kevin, some php code that anyone should be able to understand!

21. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter

22. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Lol!
  23. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    BTW, any real programmer will recognize that the first joke is not php, but CSS. Gotcha!
  24. Bunnyf
    Bunnyf
    OnSong is an excellent app for storing, organizing and viewing all your song sheets. Beyond alphabetical, you can organize music into books, sets, search by genre, artist, etc. If not stored as PDFs they are editable, instantly transposable, and you can view chord variation right on the page (and toggle for a variety of instruments, if you play more than just mando). While I still use paper for somethings, having all my music readily accessible on my iPad is great. Beats lugging around binders. Great for performing. Just attach pad to mic stand.
  25. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    yea I choose to pretend I don't know CSS, sometimes it works and sometimes I have to fix my junior programmers mistakes