Fret Wear

1. Groundcoat
    Groundcoat
    Hi All,
    I'm curious to learn how much fret life you are seeing with your Eastman mandolins. I've owned my new 515 for about a month now and I'm already seeing signs of fret wear on the lower frets. I play about an hour a day every day. Comments?
  2. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Groundcoat, good question. I have noticed a bit of wear on my 404. I have had it about 6 months now. And like you I play a hour or more each day. That said , I have a second mandolin in the truck with me so I have to share my playing time. I am heading to California so I will be stopping at my sisters house for a few days. She is currently in procession of my 305. It's a couple of years old and was my daily player for most of that time.
    Larry
  3. sw**ts
    sw**ts
    A friend and I each bought our mandolins less than a year ago, and they are both showing quite a bit of wear on the fret wires. It seems like a lot for instruments that are so new. I've never seen that on my guitars, at least for it to happen so quick.

Is it normal for Eastmans to need refretting, crowning, or whatever so early in their life?

Jan
  4. Roger Adams
    Roger Adams
    I bought my MD515 in November 2016. The frets show an alarming amount of wear considering the short time I have had it! I have an OME banjo that I have played hard for over 30 years and it shows less fret wear. I do play the 515 daily.....

I am considering having it referred with larger frets. Has anyone done that?