Week #428 ~ The Lilies in the Field

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is The Lilies in the Field, which was submitted as an Irish Traditional reel. According to The Session, it's also known as Come To Your Tay, The Lilies Of The Field, Lillies In The Field, The Lillies In The Field, Lillies Of The Field, P J Conlon’s, P.J. Conlon’s.

Here's a link to five settings of the tune on thesession.org

2. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Here's my version. Trying out a new mic for the iPhone - a Focusrite iTrack Pocket mic, got it on clearance from B&H Photo for $19.99! You'll hear faint crying towards the end of the tune - that's my 10 month old Beagle pup Janey Mack letting me know that it was tea time!

3. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    very nice Jill, i'm working on Harry Bradleys version at the minute, hopefully post in a day or two.
    how are you getting on with the beagle pup, ive always found scent driven breeds to be fairly stubborn.
  4. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Cheers Lawrence! Looking forward to hearing that Harry Bradley version! The Beagle pup is a wee gem, though definitely was hard work when I first got her - first pup I've had who NEVER takes naps!
  5. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Great work Jill - super triplets as usual.This is thbest I could do.
  6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    What a sweet and lovely tone you're getting from that mandolin - nice job!
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Surprise! A video from me! I'm thinking if I want you guys to participate more, I need to make more effort!

Here's Lilies in the Field played twice through (some mistakes) on my Collings MT2O mandolin. I know it's supposed to be faster, and I wish I could play just ONE triplet in there without fumbling, but I couldn't, so I left it out!

8. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Nice to see a video from you again, and it's always good to slow things down to help others learn. I don't tend to "do" reels because my brain goes into meltdown at that speed. But your slower version is encouraging me to give this one a go.

The A part sounds somewhat similar to the Peeler's Jacket. There may be a set in that.
  9. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Delighted to see a video from you again Barbara! Lovely version and lovely tone as always. Your relaxed right hand technique has always been an inspiration to me, and back in the day when I first joined the group it directly influenced me to focus more on improving my own!
  10. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    great stuff Barbara, it took a little while for this one to grow on me but i like it now, Harry pairs it with the gatehouse maid, so thats another to add to my to learn list

11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good to see you posting again, Barbara, and a cleanly-picked version from you.
    Gortnamona, fine playing and a great sound from that instrument.
  12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely version there Lawrence! I'll need to learn the Gatehouse Maid now as I've been looking for a tune to pair this one with - cheers for the heads up!
  13. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    I realise I'm coming very late to this particular party. I was introduced to this reel only in the last couple of years or so by Michael Gregory who, coincidentally, built the mandolin on which I play the tune in the video below. What really strikes me about this reel is that although it's in a major key, when played slowly it assumes a particularly poignant, melancholy character. So, in order to illustrate that, I play it twice at quite a sombre pace and then twice at the speed at which I would normally play a reel...

Many thanks to Michael for drawing this fine reel to my attention and to those of you who will take the time to listen to my lamentably late submission to this thread.

Aidan

14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Just browsing here when up came your offering, Aidan. Well played at slow and "normal" time and that mandolin has a great tone. Never too late to post in this group, and I hope you will be a regular visitor now.
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Beautiful, well done! I really like this tune at the tranquil, meandering stream tempo.
  16. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    Thanks, John... I might scour the back catalogue to see whether there are other tunes to which I could add my thirty-bob's worth...
  17. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    Thanks, Simon... I agree. Life's too fast sometimes - the tunes don't have to be! As I get longer in the tooth I feel the need for speed give way to the joy of getting a good tone.
  18. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Never too late for that Aiden! I hear what you mean about the feeling on this, maybe some blue notes in there somewhere? Thanks 4 posting!
  19. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    lovely stuff Aidan, the tune name is familiar but having a head like a sieve I've long forgotten it, i must give it another spin
  20. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff Aidan, particularly nice to hear it both slower and faster! Just looked at the date from my submission: How on earth was that 4 years ago? Where does the time go at all?
  21. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    GRMA, Jill. "Where does the time go?" You and Sandy Denny - always with the oul' wondering about time and it's destination. :-)

Seriously, though, this is one of my all time favourite tunes. I came late to it (like I did to this thread) but it didn't take long for the bond to develop.
  22. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great playing in both tempi, Aidan. I also like the tone of your mandolin.
    And great picking in the recordings above.
  23. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Welcome to the SAW group, Aidan -- great to see you here! That tune sounds lovely on your mandolin at either tempo.

As I have no recollection of this tune from the time when it was the official tune back in Week #428, your recording gave me the impetus of trying it out myself. Using this transcription:

https://irishfestschoolofmusic.com/S...withchords.pdf

For this tune I had to use the Gibson, as I bought it many years ago from Aidan. It felt appropriate to use his old mandolin to welcome him here.

I haven't used the Gibson much in recent months, mostly because I meant to adjust the bridge setup as the action is a bit high following my heart-stopping chair-falls-on-mandolin incident last year -- only a Gibson would shrug this off without noticeable ill effect (except for that high action). However, playing it today, the action isn't that bad after all and it's perfectly playable as it it.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  24. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Martin, and lovely to hear the auld Gibson get a run out!
  25. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Jill -- I should get it out more again. I tend to go in phases with my mandolins.

Martin
  26. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice playing Aidan and Martin, and thanks for bringing it back, I really like this tune.

I got it out again to practice but for some strange reason my fingers dont flow, there are quite a few sort of non standard riffs in it.