Joe Banes/Gypsy Princess

1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Two barndances we introduced in one of our sessions lately, inspired by a rendition from Colin Botts.
    What is a barndance? - a wooden building hopping around (beware of splinters)? - or dancing about architecture?

I really don't know. I guess it's all about sleeping in the hay, they're that slow.

2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Slow is good in my book, and I'm trying to improve my learning by ear. I'll give these tunes a try, thank you!
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Ah, The Gypsy Princess is a great tune - first time I ever heard it was Marla Fibish playing it and had to learn it off straight away I loved it so much. Lovely stuff Bertram!
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Our barndances over here in Scotland (oddly named the Canadian Barndance) are often danced to 2/4 pipe marches as well as hornpipes, Bertram, and a bit faster than your two here. Coincidentally, we had four young ladies dropped in to listen to our Thursday evening session last night and they said they were from Eastern Europe and loved the Scottish music we were playing. We ended up teaching them a couple of our dances!
    Loved your cutaway shot of your foot stomp.
  5. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    a fine celestial looking performance Bertram great encouragement to get me out off jigs and reel mode
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks all

"celestial" - I hope I don't resemble John Malkovich too much

There is a multi-strange connection with Scotland, John:
    - Joe Bane's goes by the alternative name of "Dornoch Link" on thesession.org, which seems to point to Scotland's North Sea coast
    - it is also classified as a "Schottische" by some (this word is a total conundrum in itself)
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Very fine foot stomping (and playing) Bertram, thanks for posting.

I liked this tune a lot, recorded it and then realised that it’s actually in fact a Scottish tune.
    So now I like it even more.

https://youtu.be/nJpy0K2uKvc
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great Bertram version back in 2017.

Simon’s bouncing version includes the foot stomping, too.
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Light and airy, Simon. There is a footstomp, but much less elephantine than mine
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Frithjof and Bertram, just discovered that this is perhaps a March, so the menagerie-stomping works well.
    Joe Bane’s is also called Dornoch Links…

X:1
    T:Joe Bane's Scottische
    T:Joe Bane's Schottische
    T:Bill Malley's Schottische
    R:barndance
    C:John MacDonald (1821-1893), Scotland
    S:Andrew McNamara on Clare FM
    H:A version of the Scottish march "Dornoch Links"
    H:Bars 2 & 6 of 2nd part can be interchanged
    Z:id:hn-barndance-12
    M:C|
    L:1/8
    K:A
    af | eAAB c2BA | e2A2 A2af | eAAB c2BA | c2B2 B2Ac |
    eAAB c3B | ABce a3f | e3f ecAc |1 B2A2 A2 :|2 B2A2 AB ||
    |: ce | a3b afea | fece faaf | e3f ecAB | c2B2 B2ce |
    a3b afea | f3e faaf | e3f ecAc |1 B2A2 AB :|2 B2A2 A2 ||
  11. John W.
    John W.
    Nice toe tapping tune guys.
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Simon got me curious when he posted this tune recently and made the connection with Dornoch Links, a well-known pipe march that we play a lot in our local sessions here.

Here is Dornoch Links coupled with The 72nd Highlanders' Farewell to Aberdeen (aka The Boy's Lament for his Dragon!). Played here on my "other" octave with guitar accompaniment. Interesting to compare Simon's Joe Banes with this version of Dornoch Links.

https://youtu.be/2G-of3fD9GY
  13. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Nice one Simon with a Bertram reload! Love it John! Full frontal! Wonderfully fun tune! Thanks!
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice upbeat playing John, very Highlands.
    And thanks for the smile, I have to keep reminding myself that lockdown is over.
  15. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice addition to this discussion, John!
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, all three of you.
  17. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    What Simon said, John, very Highlands - suddenly I can imagine a full orchestral SRS playing this. I suspect those 72nds didn't like Aberdeen very much, they're having too much fun leaving it
  18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Bertram. You are right - they are the sort of tunes well-suited to a Strathsprey and Reel Society with their regular rhythm and beat. I always think the big assemblies of fiddles are less suited to delivering slow airs with their much looser timing.
  19. Bren
    Bren
    It's funny that I first heard, or probably had forgotten and was reminded of, Dornoch Links just a couple of weeks ago by a Polish whistler at our session who was playing it. It seems such an obvious tune to know, but there I was going, "That's nice. What's it called?"