Poe Scout #75

1. NewKid
    NewKid
    Hi Poe Brothers and Sisters,

My name is Don Hall and I just received Poe Scout #75. I posted pictures of it in the General Discussion section. It's a Redwood over Cocobolo with Rubner tuners, a flat fretboard, TI Mittel strings, a one-piece bridge and a Nugget tailpiece that I bought via Northfield Mandolins.

The Cocobolo was so porous that it took Andy a lot longer than he expected to finish it. He gave me the option of 2-weeks UV-Cured finish or 2-3 months Spirit Varnish and I went for the patient route.

I was so amazed by the beauty of this instrument when I opened the box last night. It's a flawless build and so solid. I tried a variety of picks with it and will continue to experiment in these early days to get the best sound out. That said, it's got great volume right out of the gate and the notes are beautiful and clear.

I am very glad to join this group of Poe fans. Andy was such a pleasure to work with and he made the instrument I dreamed of.

Best regards,
    Don
  2. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Welcome Don. #75 is a real looker! I own Poe #16, a lifer for sure. I agree, Andy is fine craftsman and wonderful guy. Is that one of the last custom builds before he took time off to focus on spec builds? It would be fun to have a Poe gathering someday. As one of our Café brethren says, "play the potatoes out of it!"
  3. NewKid
    NewKid
    Hi Steve-o,

I ordered #75 on November 3, 2016 so I think I just got in under the wire.

Yes, I intend to play it for hours and hours for quite a while. Looking forward to hearing it open up.

Thanks for the welcome.

Don
  4. NateRed88
    NateRed88
    Welcome to the Poe Brotherhood! I've owned Poe #9, #23, and currently own Driftwood #13. It is a stunningly good sounding mandolin. Congrats on your Scout!