Week #430 ~ Pernod waltz

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Pernod Waltz. I am on the road and posting from my phone, so I'll depend on someone helpful to post some links!!
  2. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    This was an "other" tune in 2009, here's a link to the discussion:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...325&do=discuss

Here's my video from 2009:

Here's the abc's:

X: 1
    T: Pernod
    Z: John-N
    S: https://thesession.org/tunes/4232#setting4232
    R: waltz
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    K: Bmin
    |: f2 Bc de | f4 ff | fe ^de fg | f2 e2 fg |!
    aA gA fe | e2 c4 | cd ef ec |1 d2 B4 :|2 d2 B3 A :|!
    |: Be eg fe | Be eg fe | a2 ef ge | fd B4 |!
    GB Bd cB | FB Bd cB | cd ef ec |1 d2 B3 A :|2 de fg fe :|!
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's another video from someone we all know.

4. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Sorry I haven't been around much of late - I've been wood shedding the tenor banjo (not a pretty site!). Just dipped back in and discovered this great tune. Has an eastern European feel to it - puts me in mind of some of Andy Cutting's tunes.
    David's wonderful tenor guitar version inspired me to dust down mine. I've played it considerably slower than the Johnny Cunningham original and put it in Em to make use of some of the lower registers on the tenor. Tuned the G up a tone to get an open A drone as well.

5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A fine rendition, James.
  6. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    James, I really liked your version on the tenor, slowed down and mysterious and yes very much like an Andy Cutting tune. I love this tune so I had to give it a go with backup, tenor guitar & concertina backed by guitar & bass with some French adverts from a time gone by.

7. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great versions one and all!!
  8. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Brilliant David- makes my version sound like a dirge!
  9. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Great recordings, David and James! I like it at both tempos. Also check out the Will Fly recording on the old "Other Tunes" thread!

I first recorded this tune in 2010, but listening back to that recording, the timing in the B part wasn't right. I think I have it figured out now, so here is a new recording I made this evening. This is a trio of two mandolins with tenor guitar, using a harmony line I found online (can't remember where):

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (melody)
    1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin (harmony)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  10. crisscross
    crisscross
    After a short Old-Time interlude, I'm back at playing waltzes.
    Great versions of this waltz with the title of a French beverage can be heard in this thread, although the mandolin is in the minority.
    I considered playing the melody on my Tenor guitar too, but then I went with the mandolin:
  11. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Hey CC. I think you are becoming the king of waltzes. They are all very good and you seem to play them with the right feel and rhythm and just the right amount of tremolo. Nice tone on your mando too.
  12. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely played with very tasty guitar backup. Loved the Pernod images as well.
  13. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Ginny, thanks Michael!