Week #422 ~ Brown's Dream

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Brown's Dream, which was submitted as an Old Time tune in the key of "A". I'm not familiar with this tune.

I found this on a search of this tune:

BROWN'S DREAM [1]. AKA and see "Brownlow's Dream," "Brownstream," "Herve Brown's Dream," "John Brown's Dream," "Little Rabbit," "Pretty Little Gal (1)," "Pretty Little Miss (1)," "Red Steer" (Tenn.), "Stillhouse Branch," "Table Mountain Road." Old-Time, Breakdown. USA: Round Peak, western N.C.; Galax and southwest Va.; Tenn. A Major. Standard or AEae (Tommy Jarrell). AABBC. According to Miles Krassen (1973) the title of this tune was originally "Herve Brown's Dream," but was shortened to 'Brown's Dream' in common usage. As the tune circulated, the surname Brown came to be identified with the most famous personage of the era with that name, the abolitionist John Brown, and references to the obscure Herve (who may or may not have composed the tune) became rare. Krassen's assertion may or may not be true, as there is no source given to check, however, the "Herv Brown" title seems to have come from West Virginia fiddler Frank George. The tune is one of a large tune family known by several titles, and apparently originated in the Blue Ridge area, although since fairly widely disseminated. Mt. Airy, North Carolina, fiddler Tommy Jarrell had the tune from his father, fiddler Ben Jarrell, and Tony Lowe. See notes for "John Brown's Dream" and "Pretty Little Gal (1)."

Here is a link to notation on traditionalmusic.co.uk

2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    'Little Rabbit', but not having my mando with me, it seems quite different: http://www.notsba.org/Tunes%20-%20Li...e%20Rabbit.pdf
  4. Tomo
    Tomo
    Hey guys, hectic week, so late post. For what sounds like a simple tune it was way harder than I expected! But fortunately I have a fantastic teacher who put me on the straight, and I gave it a shot, here it is: