String reviews for the Jam Master

1. Bluegrassrules
    Bluegrassrules
    Hey fellows, I am experimenting with different strings for the Jam Master. Perhaps we should post in this tread with a review when we make string changes. It could help us from buying sets that do not sound good on theses or help us maybe go for a type we would not have considered.
    I just put on some D’Addario, FlatTops, semi-flat Phosphor Bronze .011-.015-.026-.039. The “A” is wound. There is a sight volume drop but they are super mellow with the right pick (a Dawg) the Red Bear pick is a little more “plucky.” It is a good dry kind of mellow, like old a Bill Monroe record. The strings feel smooth due to the “Flat-wound.” I only changed them today and will re-review in a week.
    I liked the string that the Mandolin Shop put on them but do not know what they were. I thought I might do some experimenting while I am waiting for the September Bean Blossom Festivial.
    Cheers, Brian
  2. 300win
    300win
    Good plan Brian. I have J-75's on mine as that is the string I've always liked. On my A-9 I put GHS silk and steel, on that mandolin they have a very differant tone. I might try some of them on Jm next time I change strings, but it will be awhile as I usually run mine for 2-3 months until they start to go bad. On my JM the J-75's have alot of "power".
  3. stewartd
    stewartd
    On my A-model, I have Gibson Sam Bush monel strings, but with J-75 (.016-gauge) for the A strings. They sound very solid, very vintage. I might try the J-75 E string, also, but will probably stick with monels for the D-G.