Weel #419 ~ The Green Gates

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is The Green Gates, which was submitted as an Irish Traditional reel. According to The Session, it is also known as The Green Gate, Na Geata, Willie Reynold’s, The Women’s Rock.

Here is a link to 5 settings of this tune on thesession.org

Here's what I've found on YouTube:

2. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I've always loved this tune, Téada do a great version of it. Finally learnt it off last night so still a work in progress:

3. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    Very nice. I'll try to get a version up to half speed soon.
  4. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Great stuff Jill. This tune has a tricky B part with turns in it. I played them with all picked notes rather than hammer on/ pull off, which is Mike Marshalls advice for this type of tune.
  5. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    Jill's seemingly effortless playing is a trap for the unsuspecting. :-) In other words, I've always found The Green Gates a challenge. I can just about hang on in a session where other instruments take the strain. But it took quite a bit of furrowed-brow concentration to get the following solo take.

Bare bones tab and dots - a slightly different setting to the one Jill plays and, indeed, quite removed from the way that I would tend to approach the tune nowadays - can be found here:

https://crosseyirishmandolin.files.w...-gates-new.pdf
  6. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Very nice, Aidan, and beautifully clear and precise as always, triplets and all.
  7. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely version and lovely tone from that lecky mandolin Aidan - thanks for resurrecting this one, must put it on my "to re-learn" list!