Canyon Waltz ~ by Don Grieser

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This beautiful tune was written by Don Grieser, and can be found on his CD, Hillbilly Chamber Music.

I multitracked this in GarageBand playing 3 parts on my Collings MT2O mandolin.

Not up for videoing today, but here's the mp3 on soundcloud!

Here is a link to the notation and tab by Don himself!
  2. Bernd Bannach
    Bernd Bannach
    This beautiful tune becomes beautiful by its beautiful playing.
    Bernd
  3. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    That was beautiful, Barbara! Is your MTO back in action, I take it, then?
  4. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice job on that Barbara, lovely stuff!
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks, ya'll. Yes, Rob, I took my Collings to a luthier in Des Moines. He said he adjusted some of the slots on both the saddle and the nut, straightened up the saddle, and adjusted the truss rod. It sounds much much better. To my ear, if you play the D strings just right (or wrong), open, and fretted on the 4th fret, I can still hear the slightest of metallic something... but I'm going to just wait till I'm in Austin later this summer, and take it to Collings to see what they say!
  6. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    The one thing he didn't do, and perhaps didn't need, is level the frets. With humidity changes and what have you sometimes one fret can start sticking up a tiny bit. Like a couple thousandths of an inch higher than than the others. Unless you put the action uncomfortably high to compensate, there will sometimes be a deal like you're describing where it just nudges the string when you play in a certain position. For instance, as slight buzz when playing at the 4th fret might mean the 5th fret at the point under the D string is just the slightest bit "proud" of the fretboard.
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    He checked the frets, and said they were ok, but he did say that he adjusted the truss rod to get the neck right. Could be that it needs to be tweaked just a bit more... I don't know!
  8. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Barbara, that recording is completely lovely, plus waltzes are my favorite! It is raining heavily here and I just leaned back, closed my eyes and enjoyed every measure with the background storm noises. I'm getting a GarageBand tracking lesson on Sunday and my goal is to make a recording in this manner. Very impressive.
  9. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Very nice playing Barbara. The backup really fleshes out the tune. I gotta learn how to do that! There's another thread floating around on this tune as well with a few videos on it.
  10. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Barbara, thanks so much for the beautiful job you did playing and recording my tune. It's really neat to hear your interpretation of it. THANKS--you made my day!
  11. pickloser
    pickloser
    Lovely tune, tone, and tremolo. Wonderful!
  12. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Really, really first class playing and a very lovely tune. I enjoyed it very much ... put me just in the right mood after a long day of work.
  13. Al Trujillo
    Al Trujillo
    Searching for lovely tunes....and I found a VERY lovely one here! Thanks Barbara!!
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    As Al, I just found this one now. Lovely tune and great playing, Barbara