I might be back soon

1. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    Hi all,

Having had a break from the Mike Black social group for the last few months, I might be back with some news. I will keep you posted.
  2. Teak
    Teak
    And the news is that now you want to buy a Mike Black mandolin (A2z or A4) after having sold one just a few months ago. What gives?

BTW, I am enjoying the A2z that I received back in November. Still haven't made a video yet. But it is on my list of things to do.

Teak
  3. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    I have to live up to my credentials of being the moderator of this social group. So i need a Black mandolin to live up to my reputation. I am also missing one having sold that one to you Teak. I will let you know when one is in my possession.
  4. Teak
    Teak
    Nick,

I think that you are confusing me with Pat to whom you sold your A2z last year. I took delivery on a new blond A2z (#35) in November last year. Mine has the Virzi and I LOVE IT! Adds sustain and provides greater projection.

Good to see the MB Group moderator get back into the game!

Teak
  5. pheffernan
    pheffernan
    Just to be clear, I never bought Nic's A2-z, merely housed it to help Nic facilitate a sale from his home in Australia to a potential buyer in the U.S. It also allowed me to sample one of Mike's builds and fill the time until #34 was completed!
  6. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    Thanks for those clarifications Pat and Teak.

Hi Teak, I am waiting for the sale of my Gray A-5 mandolin before I can proceed with a purchase of a Mike Black A mandolin. Glad you are enjoying your A2-Z. We look forward to receiving a sound clip or a video. I find a sound clip a little less confronting to do. That is - it is much easier to record via a recorder than to put oneself in front of a camera.

I look forward to my newfound responsibilities to be moderator of this social group. Any ideas on threads particular ones which Mike can chime into from time to time are most welcome - when he has time of course with his busy life schedule.
  7. Matt Harris
    Matt Harris
    Nick, are you buying new or planning to pick up a used mando?
  8. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    Hi Matt,

I am planning to buy used. I cannot afford a new one at the moment. Should have kept #17 - a beautiful mandolin in all respects. #20 was great too - regret passing that one on too. Next one is staying home here back in Australia.
  9. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    Hi all.

Just letting you know that I bought Gary Wilson's #12 off him. It is on its way to Australia. I will give a report once it is safely in my hands. Thanks Gary. You are a great guy and will really appreciate #12 when I get it.
  10. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    So officially I am back on deck with the Mike Black mandolin group as moderator although I have never had to touch anything that people have posted. So thanks guys!
  11. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    Did anyone pick it that I changed the group's main picture a few weeks ago? It was meant to be a hint.
  12. Doug Freeman
    Doug Freeman
    I didn't notice, but that looks like an old one. #12?
  13. Doug Freeman
    Doug Freeman
    Um, duh, there you say it, three posts ago!
  14. Teak
    Teak
    Congrats, Nick, on acquiring #12!
  15. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    Doug no problems. It is only three years old which is young for a mandolin.

I look forward to getting to play it especially old time fiddle tunes. It is almost here in Australia as I write this email. Thanks Teak, I missed playing one too much.
  16. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    I will post some soundcloud clips when I get it. I have been playing the fiddle a bit lately and I have not picked up a mandolin properly for nearly a month now.
  17. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    The Black A2 alias #12 has reached Australian shores doing time in customs. Will be out of there soon I hope.
  18. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    It is now out of customs and heading to my home town. Welcome home stranger!
  19. Teak
    Teak
    And now you're trying to sell that Black #12 already?? What is going on Nick?

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/102445#102445
  20. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    Well Teak

A shift in priorities towards instruments for family as shown in ad. I want to get down to 1 or 2 mandolins. I now make them so I know a lot more about what I want. And work has not been pulling lots of income. I was thinking of getting a Collings MT2V a little while back and now I have cancelled that option. I have an arches A-5 mandolin in the works and I will sell the F-5 I have made when it is finished.
  21. Teak
    Teak
    Well okay then.

We'll miss you from the Black owners group. You can still lurk.