Week #355 ~ Jig of Slurs

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Jig of Slurs, which was submitted as a Scottish Jig. It seems to be a tune that leads itself to being included in medleys!

Here is a link to 5 settings of this tune on thesession.org

Here is a link to notation on abcnotation.com

And another from abcnotation.com

Here are some videos:

2. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Since this one was well in the lead and I had a spare hour yesterday, I went ahead and recorded it.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  3. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nicely played... everyone!
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good versions, all. Bob, was that a concertina or accordion and whistle you had there behind the mandolin?
  5. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    C#/D button accordion with a fairly wet tuning (three middle reeds), and flute. I fooled around with different combinations until I found one I liked.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Here's a nice straightforward version on the fiddle played at speed and then slowed down, lovely lilt to it.

7. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Excellent, Bob - what brand of instrument are you playing?
    This is the abc notation version. The C part is tricky and as you will hear I had a lot of trouble with it.
  8. Bob Michel
    Bob Michel
    Thanks, m.m. That's a pretty nifty setting you play yourself. Yes, the C part is tricky, what with the switch to G and all that crosspicking, but it sounds like it's coming along nicely.

I'm playing a Breedlove Cascade, with stainless steel-wound strings and a Golden Gate pick. The Cascade has (or had; I think the model has been discontinued) a very slightly wider neck than most mandolins and a radiused fretboard, and I find it exceptionally comfortable to play. It also records pretty well.

Bob Michel
    Near Philly
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Solid versions Bob and Maudlin, the box is a great booster there, Bob.
    I am slightly embarrased that my age-old hot summer version shows on top of the starter post but from that experience I must say that the C part is the most simple one to me - bang on open G and D courses once and tweedle on the E strings a bit.
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice version, Maudlin! Here is mine on mandolin and octave, both my own builds, and I have added in a second jig, by the great button box player Fergie MacDonald - The Jig Runrig - which he wrote for the famous Scottish band Runrig.

11. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    John I really like the feel of your playing on this one and what a good idea to alternate between mandolin and octave mandolin. So good in fact that I'm going to do the very same thing in my "mando extravaganzo", mandolin, octave mandolin and cittern.

12. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Wow! Great playing there. You've made my Sunday.

This jig is one of those tunes that confuse me while I play. Too many notes to remember! It's as if my fingers and my brain both became knotted and entangled. All the more credit to you for posting such good versions so soon.
  13. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    David the tone from your Sobell just kills me every time - lovely version there sir!
  14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Pure Rock'n Roll David
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a great sound you have there, David, and you really deliver a very fine rendition of the tune. Thanks for your kind remarks too!
  16. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a fairly basic version on tenor guitar and mandolin (taking turns) -- fun tune to play, kept a speed where I can still play it cleanly. I could do with speeding up another 10 to 15 bpm, but that needs a bit more practice.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  17. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Martin. You too have found the two instruments sharing is a good selection for this jig.
  18. trev
    trev
    Here's my attempt. It's my first upload to the song a week social group, and not really up to the standard of the other uploads, but we all have to start somewhere, I'd never heard the tune before Sunday night and for me it's been an achievement to learn it that quickly (even with the mistakes!).

https://soundcloud.com/user-22948268...m_medium=email

Hope the link works ok, I only joined Soundcloud last night.

Thanks, Trev

2014 Weber Bitterroot F style F hole
  19. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A good, clean delivery, Trevor, especially as it is a new tune to you amd after your comments about the Red Light recording syndrome! Link is fine and Soundcloud is a good way of getting your tunes out to people to listen to. I am there too under my Soundcloud label Mandosounds. Looking forward to more from you.
  20. trev
    trev
    Thanks for your kind words John, it only took about 20 attempts to get one with an acceptable number of mistakes ��. I'll be sure to look you up on Soundcloud
  21. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Trevor, I'd call that a very substantial achievement! It's not an easy tune by any means, but you play it fluently and clearly. I'm not yet where you are with it.
  22. JL277z
    JL277z
    Really nice versions everyone! Very enjoyable to listen to.
  23. Francis J
    Francis J
    Some really great versions here. David, once more I am impressed with your playing, and the professionalism of your production. John, lovely pacing and blend of instruments, as always. Bob, a super display of versatility. Maudlin, and Martin, great playing. What a series of acts to follow! I almost forgot Bertram at the top playing with such flare,..and so to mine. Two mandolins and a bouzouki.

24. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely clean version from Trev - welcome to the Group! Great versions from everyone - hoping to get my contribution up today or tomorrow.
  25. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another fine version, Francis. This has been a successful choice for all, I think. Looking forward to hearing Jill's version and the triplets she'll be playing!
  26. trev
    trev
    Thanks for the encouragement and welcome everybody , I'll see if I can get a guitar backing or something next time, and some melody embellishment, but I'm at the stage of walking before I can run at the moment. Really enjoyed everyone else's versions though, very impressed with the standard of the playing.
  27. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Here's my go of it - no triplets I'm afraid John, I opted for just playing it straight through as I only just learnt it off and got some speed up.

28. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely picking. Who needs triplets?
  29. Francis J
    Francis J
    Great stuff Jill, you've really got that bouncing!
  30. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Cheers lads!