Magazine recommendation?

1. Daniel Nestlerode
    Daniel Nestlerode
    Hey folks,
    I'm training for the Cheese and Wine Century in October (http://www.stancobike.org/cheese_wine.html), and I could use some good info on getting there.
    Any bicycle magazine recommendations?

Daniel
  2. Jimmijames
    Jimmijames
    Bicycling Magazine is always a good choice for some good basic info about touring.
  3. Mike Scott
    Mike Scott
    Take a look at Road Bike Action - I prefer that to Bicylcling. Another good one although pricey and really racing oriented is Road.
  4. Daniel Nestlerode
    Daniel Nestlerode
    Thanks guys.
    D.
  5. timv
    timv
    Daniel (and others), you might be interested in Bicycle Quarterly:

http://www.vintagebicyclepress.com/vbqindex.html

It has something of a homegrown feel to it, but is quite thoughtfully done and low on marketing hype. It avoids racing entirely, focusing instead on touring and "randonneuring" (long-distance non-competitive events), on the history of these events and the equipment developed for them, and on some lessons from the grand old days of the 30s and 40s that have perhaps been forgotten with the change of focus to shorter stage races. (Not entirely unlike attempts to analyze and duplicate the F5 Loar, one might notice.) There are interesting technical articles and reviews of modern equipment being developed for this sort of riding, which arguably suit casual riders and century participants better than the repli-racers that riders in these events often tend to have.

It's a bit of a labor of love by Jan Heine, who's an expert on classic European touring and long-distance bikes and a very accomplished long-distance rider himself. No connection to the publisher, just a happy reader here...
  6. mandroid
    mandroid
    less race focus: ACA Adventure Cyclist, Urban Velo, *Bicycle Times.. *(Now online only they stopped hard copies)

VBQ has its own cult . $10.00 a copy.. Jan does self promotion , of the Compass Cycles products he sells,in it..

Wine And Cheese connoisseurs have their own Magazines to read. too.