Buying Guide

1. Tommcgtx
    Tommcgtx
    I am currently still looking for a mandolin banjo, but am quickly discovering that I'm fairly clueless. I see lots of no name instruments on Ebay, and occasionally one pops up on craigslist, or here in the classifieds. My question for the group is, what are the different types? What should one look for when purchasing? From what I've seen, and advice I've recieved so far, Vega is a good brand to look for. I've also noticed that Washburn has come out with a new model, the BM3. It would be nice to have a centralized source of info, for myself, and for anyone else out there who might be thinking of purchasing one.
  2. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    I recently bought my first mandolin banjo, in fact, I bought several, so here is my experience and 2 cents worth. I bought 2 on ebay for under $100 and one for $160, with the intention of keeping the best of the bunch, fixing up and selling one and the other was for parts. None of these were in playable condition and all need to have the neck angle reset. Two of these had warped fretboards making them unplayable. All had tall flat frets that needed to be filed down to a crown. I won't be messing with these cheap ones anymore and neither should you. Save up and buy a quality instrument with a good fretboard and frets. I also bought a good 1920's Lyon & Healy mandolin banjo locally. I had to reset the neck angle on it also and reglue to loose dowel stick to the neck. It has a nice ebony fretboard that is straight and has good frets. It's a lot of fun to play though I am playing mine with only 4 strings, a tango banjo. A lot easier to play these with only 4 strings.
  3. FatBear
    FatBear
    Mine is a Vega. It is from the early to mid '20s and is very playable. I am the third owner. The previous owner bought it in the mid-'80s and played it professionally, though as a second or third instrument, until I bought it in 2012. It has the patina of time and a lot of play on it, but the frets are good and the strings pass over them just as they should. It is easy to play if you already know the mandolin. And it is very loud.

I think these old Vega banjos are worth a look. I have seen them on eBay for anywhere from $500 to $1500. But those are asking prices. I have seen a lot of the $500 ones which were in poor condition and did not really sell at that asking price. You will find that the price varies not only with the condition but also with the type of tone ring it has. That's the part that the head is stretched over. The tone ring on mine is a simple 1/4" rod bent into a circle. There is also a "Tubaphone" model with a much fancier tone ring. I think there is a model in-between, but I'm not sure. (I was told it was called the "Whyte Lady" and you will find that name bandied about, but I'm not sure if Whyte Lady relates to the tone ring or to an entire model line of banjos. Do your homework.)

Mine (it is pictured on the home page of this group) has a factory original resonator on it. That makes it even louder. I've never seen another one with the resonator and mine actually is kept in a regular banjo case because no case is made for a mandolin banjo with such a large diameter. The case looks as old as the banjo, so maybe there never has been a proper one made for it.

I am actually thinking of selling it. I don't play it as much as I thought I would and it is a shame to leave such a nice instrument sitting around in a case in the corner. I'm not a collector and I'm not rich, so if it isn't played it needs to move on. It isn't a $100 instrument, though. If you are interested in it, send me a private message.
  4. mandroid
    mandroid
    Rim Stick / Neck mortise joint seems to be the common issue with old MB's..

I've only bought 1 without seeing it in person, Though I did e-converse with the seller On that topic before buying it.

1 Vega 8, 2 mystery ones now 4 strings . and my Ukejo with a test sample of Aquila's synthetic , mandolin tuned set..

Whyte Lady is a type of Banjo Pot Tone ring design..

Reading up on Banjo Pot variations is Useful to understand (and be amazed by them) some of the many Variations

Of Added Features over the simple edge of the wood Hoop and then adding a ring of brass ,

then setting the ring of brass on a square hollow tube, Or ball bearings on springs Etc, Etc.