My Eastman 814 is finally home!

1. Ron Cox
    Ron Cox

These are just some phone pics taken in the store. I need to get her into the studio for some real beauty shots with proper lighting.

I've decided to name her Beihbinn (pronounced bey-veen) which means "fair haired" in Gaelic.

I know this is kind of a cross post, but since this is a social group...
  2. Ron Cox
    Ron Cox
    So, my new blond has been named Beihbinn (pronounced BAY-veen). I still haven't located a suitable case though I have had some offers from Gianna's and Folkmusician. It took me a while to get all the money together, so the expense of a case for a mandolin that isn't leaving the house (she has her own slot on my mandolin rack and a gig bag re-purposed from a compound bow soft case) is low on my list of priorities.

First and foremost, was the replacement of the bridge. The one that came on it was wound all the way out and the foot was canted. On top of that, the saddle was sinking. I was going to attempt to fix it, but found a crack where the adjustment wheels entered the bridge. I wanted a Cumberland Acoustic but it's going to be a bit before I can get one. I haven't had any real experience installing a bridge, so once I get one I will be taking it to Picker's supply in Fredericksburg for installation.

The bushings in the peghead were raising up so I removed the tuners and gave them a good cleaning. I ended up taking the bushings out and reaming the holes a tiny bit since I couldn't get the bushings to seat all the way down. I just tapped them slightly with a dead-blow hammer after the reaming. I went to reinstall the tuners and noticed that they tighten backwards from every other instrument I have had. They were apparently assembled incorrectly and I would need to totally disassemble them to facilitate that, so I shelved that and moved on. I installed a new set of Martin Silk and Steel strings and tuned her back up with a new Ledbetter bridge I picked up on Ebay. For $9.95 it will keep me playing and the bridge is much more solid than the Golden Gate bridge that comes on the Eastman's. It only took a little sanding to get it flush with the top. I did need to widen the grooves a tiny bit on the bridge since they weren't cut completely, but were properly spaced. Mostly I needed to do the slots for the G and D.

Before I reassembled everything, I went over the mandolin with a damp soft cloth and cleaned it completely. I would've polished it as well, but I don't know what polish is best for the varnish finish. Feel free to chime in if you know the best polish, but getting the grime off was the biggest thing and she fairly glows now.

Next step will be a case I found on Ebay that will run me about $50. I've seen this exact case for $129 everywhere else, so wish me luck. They are Demos but supposedly in excellent condition.
  3. ErichDC
    ErichDC
    She's a 'beaut Clarke!! Nice pics too