Tips and Tricks

1. Altar
    Altar
    Post any tricks you have learned through experience, as well as tips for new builders.
  2. Wilbur Tabacsko
    Wilbur Tabacsko
    I was having a terrible day yesterday bending sidewood for a couple of rims. Bad thing about it was I was burning my good wood($). I use a steel pipe with propane torch for bending. Then I remembered a post in the B&R section about using clothe towel strips soaked in water. It worked like a charm, especially for the tight bends!! No more cussing!
  3. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    I'll have to try that next time. Do you just drape them over the pipe?
  4. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    I use cotton flannel folded several times and soaked. It works well but you have to make sure it doesn't dry out or it will start to smoke.
  5. Wilbur Tabacsko
    Wilbur Tabacsko
    Here's a few photos using the wet clothe...

Here is my set up...a lot cheaper than a $180 store bought

I just roll it up so it's about the width of my wood and give it a good soaking. Lay it on your wood evenly and grip with both hands and flip it over

Have your pipe good 'n' hot so it makes steam when the rag is laid on it. Make sure you keep plenty of water on your rag so it don't burn. Go slowly with the bending, take your time. Be careful of the steam as it is very HOT!! I sometimes use a thin metal strip over the top of my wood, it holds in the heat and helps in giving a nice even bend.

6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Neat idea, Wilburlin. I started off using the same sort of set-up with the pipes and a gas torch but progressed to the electric heater when I got a bit fed up with the fumes from the gas torch. The strip of metal is something I still use regularly for exactly the reasons you mention - retaining the heat and giving a more even bend with much less chance of the wood cracking while I am bending it.
  7. Erin Patterson
    Erin Patterson
    I am posting a series on my blog about how I got into building along with some tips, here:http://erinpattersonmusic.blogspot.c...umping-in.html
    I have worked for Cordoba Guitars for a year making classical/spanish guitars and I have learned tons to apply to my mandolin build.