I just joined.

1. Jim DeSalvio
    Jim DeSalvio
    Hey folks, I just joined this group. I am mostly a guitar player, but that did not stop me from exploring this wonderful instrument. I live in central Illinois, near Peoria. I have some Eastman mandos (as good as I will ever need), and a Ken Ratcliff economando, which is really cool. Right now, I play mostly easy melodys, and struggle with the chop chords. I really don't know if my fingers will allow it or not (at least the classic Big Mon shapes).

Glad to be a part of this.

Jim DeSalvio
  2. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Welcome, Jim!

Joe
  3. Dave Ashby
    Dave Ashby
    Forget the Big Mon stretch chords. I've found a lot of useful 3-note chords on the 2nd,3rd and 4th strings that are good for rhythm work.
  4. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    I've always liked Jethro Burns approach to chording. Though he could do the 4 finger chop chords he also realized the value of 3 note and 2 note chords. Tim O'Brien, who's a find bluegrass musician, also uses 2 and 3 note chords on a lot of his work. Maybe it's just a folk, Celtic, blues, etc. genre thing. I don't know but I don't live or die by the 4 note chop chord fingerings even if I'm playing bluegrass or with some bluegrass pickers. I just look for the fun in it all.