A fanboy moment

1. Niall Anderson
    Niall Anderson
    I thought one or two of you might understand & appreciate this anecdote...

I was at an Edinburgh session last night, with Cafe member Kevin Macleod (kmmando). The session is quite a high-powered one, being led by Angus Grant Jr of Shooglenifty, and a number of other pro musicians drop in there a fair bit. Last night fiddler John Martin (Ossian, Tannahill Weavers, Easy Club) was there. I had to pinch myself when a set of reels led by Angus went into the Easy Club Reel, and I was sitting next to John Martin while playing accompaniment for the tune...

Think the following emoticon expresses how I was feeling...

Still haven't quite recovered...
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    it doesn't get any better, Niall. I had a similar experience last August up in Achiltibuie when I was welcomed warmly to a session in Kevin's house on the Friday night of the Summer Isles Festival. On the Saturday afternoon we had a great several-hours-long open session at the Coigach Community Centre. Just great!
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Mine is a while ago - 1988 I think. I drove to a hotel in Glencolumbcille, Donegal one sunday afternoon, to attend a session. The receptionist told me to take a seat in the dining hall, Tommy Sands would be with me in a minute - - and there we played together, just Tommy and me, for at least one hour before other players arrived. He was being so nice that I still don't know if I played well enough (TB, it was then. He played his big Lowden guitar).
  4. Richard Eskite
    Richard Eskite
    I was in the sports shop in Baddeck, Cape Breton last fall and recognized Martin Hayes after seeing him perform with the Teetotalers the night before. I greeted him, complimented him on his performance and spent a few minutes talking about San Francisco, Berkeley and some people we knew in common. It was really great, I must say.
  5. PaulBills
    PaulBills
    I was at an after-fest party a few weeks ago (Music on The Marr) where I was a steward, and Gordie MacKeeman and his rhythm boys turned up after headlining the final night. After a wee while they started jamming with a couple of the other guys at the party (who'd also performed, but as they were mates, I wasn't starstruck by them), then Gordie started playing my mando! Then after a few more beverages i joined in, and by the end of the night I was leading them in some songs! That's a memory that'll stay with me for a looooooong time :D