JBovier Tone

1. Michael Bridges
    Michael Bridges
    I'm in a dangerous spot right now. My ear is starting to wander, and I'm afraid I feel a bout of MAS coming on.I've always been interested in the JBovier mandos and the enthusiasm folks who own them have. Seem to be a great bang-for-the-buck.
    My question is this. How would you describe the tone? Is it a very "traditional" bluegrassy sound, or a bit more "modern" tone? I'd best describe that for me as a bit bassier, with a touch more ring and sustain to the notes. Figured the best place to ask was here with folks who own them, so I look forward to what you have to say!
  2. CHAR
    CHAR
    I would say the JBovier has a more modern sound. Warm tone, it has great sustain.
  3. bigmomma
    bigmomma
    I just bought a JBovier A5 Special from Kyle at the Mando Shop. I told him I wanted a more mellow woody tone. He played all the Boviers he had and picked one for me. He is really a pleasure to work with. I'm sure he can help you.
  4. jake-mando
    jake-mando
    Michael, you are going to have to play a few and find the one that suites your ear best. The strings you use and the picks you use, will also determine what sound you get.
    I have 2 J.Boviers.
    My 2009 JB F5 Dorado (Korean Made) has a good dry woody chop. It is set up with GHS silk and bronze strings, a Cumberland Acoustics bridge, a new bone nut and an Allen cast tailpiece. I added grommets between the strings as well. I also have a tone guard and I prefer to use Blue Chip picks. I love the tone of this mandolin now. From my experience I think even if I doubled my investment, i would be hard pressed to find a mandolin that plays and sounds as good as this one.

My JB A5, is one of Jeff's prototypes.(Made China - different factory then current production models) It is defiantly more of a modern sound. It is my campfire mandolin. Don't get me wrong it is a good instrument, but it's not my F5. I need to do some customizing on it, to get it to where I'd like it. It has a V neck on it. I find it uncomfortable. So I need to remove some finish and flatten that out. I like cast tailpieces, it will be getting on of those as well. I will likely replace the bridge with a CA same as the other. I have a tone guard on this one as well. I use the same strings. It has a thinner sound, and doesn't have the volume that the F5 does. It is also new and has only begun to open up.

After all this what I am trying to say is. The J. Boviers are great instruments. If you find one that sounds right, remember you can always tweek that sound to get it closer to where you want it. Half the fun is customizing and making it yours! Jeff Cowherd is also a great resource if you ever have questions. I think you would be very happy, like the rest of us with a J.Bovier Mandolin.