Another strategy in a band: in memory of playing lead

1. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Well folks, we are only three members, but I thought I should start the ball rolling with a discussion. In a thread on coping strategies we discussed coping with various challenges as mandolin players. In continuation of that discussion on this forum I relate my recent experience as a guest performer in a band. Here there particular musical challenges. For one I am crossing the mandolin into African rhythms. It takes a lot of in-depth listening. The band leader has certain sequences for rhythms, accompiment and lead breaks. He demands all three from me as a mandolin player. I cope by trusting my memory. In the one song: 'the lion sleeps tonight" he wants a huge section of lead breaks. Then he wants accompaniment. When other instruments are commanded to rest and silence, I am commanded to continue with chords. So we start of with an intro, similar bars of music the breaks lead, played four times. Then A few breaks for me to rest: then followed by the entire melody in the lead break. Well, remember how often what is done, what follows and how the music ends? I say here's to the strategy: "In memory of the music notes". Thank heavens for perfect pitch and a good memory.

Happy playing!
  2. dant
    dant
    Pasha, oh the memories, of being in a band. I actually am glad that part of my life has gone by. Now I can say that period of time was when I believe I learned a lot , not only on the guitar and the mandolin, but learned How to Play Music. But the most fun was the many years after the band stopped giging, and most of the same folks with new folks from time to time, we had a jam once a week on the same evening. we never turned anyone down no matter how talented or non talented they were, we would pull them along and always let'em join the jam. This jam was basically stopped after my stroke, but in the last two years it has happened some, when we can get enough folks on the same night, now it needs food, either everyone brings something, or there will be a cook out. we all drink, among other things, and have a lot of fellowship.

Dan
  3. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Dan, I see we are at different stages: an old hand who has past band euphoria? <big smile> For me it is the biggest fun. They wa I am stretched an how I am learning!
  4. dant
    dant
    I'm glad you are having fun, isn't that what it is all about? When we started out and gigged for free, drink, or food, we were having lotsa fun. It was after a few years and a few members started wanting pay, the fun started to leave. And the funny thing, a couple of theses folks have become members of other bands that gig often for pay, and when I get to see them all they do is complain about different things. And now if they happen to join some of us in a jam, you can see it on their face, that this is fun.

Dan
  5. dant
    dant
    When we finally get a break in this weather, I'm hoping to start a new project. I will be working on making myself a comp cd of my playing music that hopefully will track my music trail from as far back as the early '70's/'80's thru last week. It will be quite an undertaking, a lot of listening, crying, and feelings, but also some good memories.

Dan
  6. dant
    dant
    So I finally got a tune posted but I'm not sure how to link it here. Any help?
    windows 8

Dan
  7. dant
    dant
    Dang, sorry for that, I did something wrong, and the file does not play.
    trying again today.

Dan
  8. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Dan, I also struggle with posting of stuff to mandolin café. Photies fine. I am going to create my music page on facebook tonight and put some of my videos there, that as a start. I just struggle with YouTube and creating links here. I hope to put photies of the marimba band playing on here soon!