Thomastik flatwounds, medium or heavy?

1. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    I'm thinking seriously about ordering some Thomastik flatwounds, but at the price, I'd like to get it right the first time... Just looking for a little advise or experiences.
    Thanks, Dave
  2. bratsche
    bratsche
    Hi Dave, I have some Starks on my M-2 at the moment, but when they wear out, I'm switching back to mediums. I've already used mediums on it, so I know how they work with it, and after the comparison I definitely prefer them.

bratsche
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I tried TI mediums when I first got my Mid-Mo, but really didn't like what they did to the tone -- too muffled for my taste, so I switched to GHS mediums (much cheaper, too). Obviously, that depends on your style and your tonal preferences and bratsche, for one, is happy with TI strings on her Mid-Mo.

Martin
  4. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    Ahh, a Café consensus...
    Bratsche, if you don't mind, could you try to explain the difference. I was kinda leaning towards the starks because of the 11 gauge e string, but... I think the mittels might be fine.

Dave
  5. bratsche
    bratsche
    Well, there's not as much of a sound difference as there is a "feel" one... with the Starks, it's just takes a little more effort to play, most noticeably if I play it for more than 1/2 hour. It almost makes me want to lower the action slightly at times on this particular instrument... Which, of course, if I did, it would make the action too low for the Mittels, so it's better, I think, to just suffer with it for a while longer, and go back to the Mittels.

bratsche