Gigs

1. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Post Michigan gigs here, whether your own (shameless marketing encouraged!), or others...

I'll start. Chris Thile is joining the World Youth Symphony Orchestra at Interlochen on July 19. It's a concerto, so should be an interesting departure from Punch Brothers, perhaps more like his Edgar Meyer collaborations but backed by a full orchestra. Since this is in my back yard, I'll be there.
  2. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Oh man, I've got to pay closer attention to the Calendar feature on the Cafe! I was surfing last evening and saw the Matt Flinner Trio was in Frankfort, MI, probably finishing their second set while I was on line.
    Did anyone catch them?
  3. Paul Merlo
    Paul Merlo
    My mandolin and I sat in w/ my brother and Brandon Creasman the past two Sunday nights during their regular gig at Dick O'Dow's (irish pub) in downtown Birmingham. I'll probably be making regular appearances with them once the new year rolls around too. We play mostly classic rock songs with a few odd tunes and surprises here and there. So, if you're jobless like me and can stay out late for an 11pm 2nd set (Brando does the 1st set solo @ 10pm), then please come on out, have a pint or two, and enjoy the music.

P
  4. Jeff Rose
    Jeff Rose
    Shameless self promotion... Detour is in Hart on Jan. 16th and in East Lansing on Jan. 29th, more info at Detourbluegrass.com Happy New Year
  5. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Thanks for the heads up Jeff. Now if I could just see you play in Traverse City... the Opera House would be a great venue.
  6. jc2
    jc2
    Steve-o, do you ever go to the Loading Dock on Monday night?
  7. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    jc2,
    I went to TC Celtic there once, but it is far too smokey for my likes. I will give it another try in May when the Michigan smoking ban is in place. There is also another TC Celtic venue on Tuesdays at Lil' Bo's. The more advanced players join that session, which eliminates me! I hope to catch them soon. How about you? Are you playing that new Swanson in any sessions?
  8. Paul Merlo
    Paul Merlo
    My friends The Square Boys have a big gig this Saturday, March 23 at Bachelor's One in Keego Harbor (between Pontiac and Waterford) and I'll be featured on mandolin for their whole set. They're going for a "big band" lineup complete with a horn section and more percussion. The music crosses the spectrum from Johnny Cash to Herbie Hancock and anything in between. I should *warn* you that we're the 3rd act going on, and it's going to be a late rocking night.
    (PM me if you have questions)

Paul
  9. Paul Merlo
    Paul Merlo
    Once again I'm jamming with my friends the Square Boys this Friday at the Boat Bar in Ortonville, MI. They're on all night, but I don't exactly know when I'll be. Regardless, they're a killer rock band that plays great originals, as well as anything from Booker T and the MGs to Ween.
    The Boat Bar, 2000 Ortonville Rd, Ortonville, Michigan 48462
    Look them up on archive.org