Visiting the makers

1. Ben Cooper
    Ben Cooper
    Today I paid a visit to Max and Laurie at Girouard Mandolins. It was one of he greatest times I have had in a long time. Both Max and Laurie are wonderful people and showed my son and I the entire shop. I got to play one of the older two points they had made and I am now completely sold on their craftsmanship. I cannot wait to hear that they have a new model ready to play so I can go in and hear it. I will be getting one this fall, I hope. Laurie allowed my 8 year old to do some sanding on a "prototype" neck/headstock piece. He is now completely sold on them as well. He wants to work for them... Says he will work without pay since he is only 8. I am just so impressed with how knowledgeable and personable they are! But their work is .... Exquisite! There is no other word that fits. The tone and feel and beauty is beyond words. The love and care that they both put into each and every step of the process is evident to any eye. I cannot say enough about them and their work. I am so looking forward to the fall. I have a new goal and something to save for!!!
  2. Ben Cooper
    Ben Cooper
    Well, I truly think I have MAS. I am in the process of working with Max and Lauri to create a new piece of playable art. Of course they will do the creating, I am just the observer or like when someone commissions a great artist for a work. My head is filled with dreams and anticipation for the final piece. I am inspired to be sure I can do this new instrument justice with my playing (OK, so I have a ways to go in that respect).
    I will update as I know more about exactly what I am getting in terms of wood, etc.
    The anticipation is very great!
  3. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Great story Benjamin, and congratulations on the Girouard commission!
    We look forward to seeing your instrument come to life.
    Thanks for sharing.
  4. Ben Cooper
    Ben Cooper
    Well, at this point my mandolin is being built with a red spruce top, macassar fretboard and a natural amber varnish. Also a maple top binding. The back will be one piece birch! It is going to be and sound gorgeous!