Winter Cycling

1. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Is anybody here doing any winter cycling? I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and in the past I have always put my bike away when the snow fell but this year I decided to keep going for a while. I just got back from from about a 19km ride after a new snowfall. It was a lot of fun, very pretty, with decent traction. I think I'll keep it up as long as it doesn't get too cold. Earlier this week we were breaking local records with temperatures of -46 celsius but today it was a balmy -1 celcius.
  2. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Keith,
    I have a simple rule: I don't ski in the summer and I don't bike in the winter. If you live in snow country (especially Canada), why not cross country ski? It is great exercise and you don't have the wind chill and road hazards that a bike creates. I could see an exception for transportation. My wife used to ride her mountain bike with ice screws on the tires to get to work in the winter. Just my 2 cents.
  3. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    I do have a set of cross country skis that I've never got around to learning to use. Maybe this year. Really though, they are two different activities. It's mostly just that I like riding my bike and would like to extend my riding season a bit.

I don't plan on sharing the road with traffic though. I'm sticking to the extensive river valley trail system we have here. I do use my bike to commute every day during the non-snowy seasons but I don't see myself doing it through the winter.
  4. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    When I commuted, I rode religiously in everything including sub-zero temps and snow. Nowadays, I avoid riding if it's below 50 degrees F.
  5. Daniel Nestlerode
    Daniel Nestlerode
    Well, I do. BUt you wouldn't call it "Winter Cycling." It doesn't snow here. And if it did, I certainly would avoid the roads, even in a car. Most of the people in California have no experience driving in snow. Very dangerous.

Daniel
  6. timv
    timv
    Following Daniel, there's winter and then there's winter. I've been comfortable riding in North Carolina at around freezing with wind-front bib tights, a good winter-weight jacket, and full gloves. Getting out the door and getting started is probably the hardest part. But that's not Canada cold.

Short days are also a challenge. I have lights that I can use, and have, but it's just one thing to fuss with and it's really nothing like daylight as far as seeing and being seen go.

I've even set a bike up outside on a fluid trainer on a cold winter day and just listened to music while pedaling in place for an hour or so. That wasn't bad at all. I didn't overheat like I tend to indoors, and there's a huge difference not having to deal with the cold wind while actually riding. It was pretty fun really and a good way to pass time listening to tunes.
  7. mandroid
    mandroid
    I'm out on the Wet Coast, occasional Black Ice , as cold front pulls out frigid interior air.

get out the Finnish Nokian Tungsten steel studded tires, and the bike is Fine , It's transportation..

They are not cheap, but since I don't need them all winter long , I still use the same pair bought in '91.

drum Brakes in the hubs are not going to be abrupt stoppers , but they always work, no matter what the weather. new from Sturmey archer Taiwan is a Drum brake/generator hub best of both worlds . switch on the headlight and its there ..

Neon yellow green parka with all the wide reflective stripes. was this winter's purchase ..

When there was a local Tavern Jam, the 4 string electric in the Cal and the AC60 went in the bike trailer.
  8. DPrager
    DPrager
    It's getting a little warmer here in the upper left corner. I was out once in December and not even once in Jan. The trainer is in the garage, but motivation has been elusive.

Our biking season seems to coincide with lawn mowing season. Both start in February.

I try to commute via bike from March - October, but man the winter is tough.
  9. mandroid
    mandroid
    Getting stale here /... freshening ..
    Found my favorite bikes have smaller wheels now .. bought and resold 1 Brompton,
    a friend said let me know," if you find another I'd be interested in this one.."

as it sorted out Did find #2 a BRG 3 speed , But, as things happen w old folks ,
    that person had an Arthritis flare up, and hands and joint pain kaiboshed the local resale..

so it, black '94 one, went to a guy in Seattle ..

kept my Big Upgrade a Swiss made 2 speed mountain-drive crankset, that is perfect with the 3 speed .
    another planetary... 150% reduction gear so the 3 hub gears are used twice .. Badda--Bing, shift,
    between 3rd & 4th..

then I had a deal , In reason, for a Bike Friday, from one of my old adresses Duck-Dorp, .. Eugene..

Its become my year round Bike : niceties , Rohloff hub [German cousin of the sturmey/schlumpf combo,
    as it uses a 7 speed hub twice for 14 gear ratios , (but does it all, oil bath, in the Hub.)]

Disc Brakes and a dynamo front hub for LED lights , so, no drained batteries coming out of the Pub.

Rain Gear Improved with a Cape , so I do a moving Traffic Cone impression on the shoulder of the road.